BeerSmith2, Extract to AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WileECoyote

Reaction score
Hello, I just started using BeerSmith2 and have converted some of my Extract recipes to All Grain using the BeerSmith2 conversion button, I was wondering how well this works, in your experience using BeerSmith2 dose the AG batch come out tasting the same as the extract batch?

The recipe that I converted and want to brew today is a oatmeal stout.

Any input would be great.

Cheers :mug:

I have found that I have to tweak the recipe here and there to make sure it converts to where i want it. Really its just the grist bill, but the IBU's need some tweaking usually cause you get different utilization with AG. Nothing major, just changing the ounces by a bit up or down.

Here is the recipe. Here is what it converted to

6.6 lbs Dark DME == 10 lbs 11.2 oz Moris Otter
8 oz 6 Row == 11.3 oz 6 Row
8 oz Black Patent == 9.2 oz Black Patent
1 lb Caramel 80-L == 1 lb 2.5 oz Caramel 80-L
8 oz Flaked Oats == 11.3 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Chocolate Malt == 9.2 oz Chocolate Malt
1 oz Golding hops @ 60 min == 1 oz Golding hops @ 60 min
1/2 oz Fuggles hops @ 10 min == 1/2 oz Fuggles hops @ 10 min
The hops were more than this
on the conversion, but I cut , them back, I think I will split
the difference and add just a
more to the amounts.

What do you think? dose this convert close to coming out like the extract batch?
Sorry I had spacing in between and when it post it removed them.

make to sure to specify to beersmith your sparging style choice too. i tried fly sparging my first AG batch and it was a pain in the butt. go with batch sparging if your feeling it

Thanks, I ether batch or No sparge, most of the time I do a small batch sparge, on this I will do a small batch sparge.

Any help on the recipe conversion ? dose it look right?

Back