Rookie looking for all-grain equipment advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0rbit

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of purchasing all-grain equipment and met someone locally that is willing to give me what I believe is a great deal, but I'm having a hard time researching pricing on the equipment so thought perhaps you guys could let me know if it is properly priced or not?

He is willing to sell me for $600 the following:

-Sparge tank: 1/2bbl sanke keg
-Mash tun: 1/2bbl sanke keg
-Kettle: 1/2 bbl sanke keg
-Metal rack that holds the sparge tank above the mash tun

Although he did mention to me that the thermometers on the Sparge tank and Mash tun are broken though. So what do you guys think? Please let me know if you have any other questions as I tried to keep this short.

Thank you in advance for any advice!!!

We need more info. $600 seems high to me for 3 basic keggles and a metal rack, but if there's other equipment included (burners, pumps, etc.) or if they're really tricked out then it might be a good deal. Do any of the keggles have false bottoms, sight glasses, thermowells, whirlpool returns, or other features (besides broken thermos)? What type of valves do they have, and are the fittings welded or weldless? Is the metal rack just a rack, or is it an actual brew stand with mounts for burners, pumps, etc.?

FWIW a basic converted keggle usually sells for ~$100.

Hey guys, thanks for the quick reply here are the items with further details as mentioned by the owner:

-Sparge tank: 1/2bbl sanke keg with a drain port welded in the bottom and thermometer port in the side. All fittings and a SS ball valve, going to a PVC barb. 2"

-Mash tun: 1/2bbl sanke keg with a drain port, false bottom, and a ball valve.

-Kettle: 1/2 bbl sanke keg with a drain port welded into the bottom going to a SS ball valve. There is a bolt welded to the bottom for a false bottom, but I've just been using a stainless screen tube inserted into the opening to strain the hops out after the boil.

-Simple Metal rack that holds the sparge tank above the mash tun, with mounts for burners

Back