My Simple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TastyBrew

Reaction score
Started a new batch today.

5 gal pastuerized cider from Quality Dairy
Added 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme to each gallon, and let sit over night.
In morning, added cider to sanitized bucket with 3 tsp yeast nutrient.
Pitched Cote des Blanc dry yeast on top of cider. Added lid and airlock.
4 hours later, airlock bubbling every 30 seconds.

My OG was 1.050. I'll check again once fermentation subsides.

We are in the same boat, brother/sister!!

I got 6 gallons of organic, UV disinfected cider from a local orchard. Added 3 tsp. of pectic enzyme and 3 tsp. of yeast nutrient.....pitched yeast (WLP775 English Cider Yeast).....and 34 hours later things were fermenting like gangbusters. Things are looking good and I am excited about the prospects of the end-product in the next 2 or 3 months!!!

Finally bottled my cider tonight. It ended up being 3 weeks in primary and 20 days in secondary. After racking to the bottling bucket, leaving the sediment, I ended up with only about 4.5 gallons in bottles. I was surprised how much sediment was left considering how much was dumped after 3 weeks in primary.

The cider actually tastes great, even though it's young, warm, and still. We used 4 oz of priming sugar when bottling and I can't wait to taste it after it has time to carbonate and then age awhile.

I'm so impressed, I saved 2 bottles full of the remaining sediment and may use it to start another batch tomorrow.

Back