Pellicle was big for 10 days, now mostly gone!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phuzle

Reaction score
I had a great, thick, bubbly pellicle on a saison. After about 10 days, the pellicle seems to have broken up. There are a few big bubbles and clumps of foam on top, but not the web of thick fuzzy stuff there once was. Does anyone have any idea what that means? I've heard of the pellicle "dropping" but this doesn't appear to have submerged. Is the brett done? I was under the impression it would take a little longer. It smells like ripe/rotting fruit.

I had a great, thick, bubbly pellicle on a saison. After about 10 days, the pellicle seems to have broken up. There are a few big bubbles and clumps of foam on top, but not the web of thick fuzzy stuff there once was. Does anyone have any idea what that means? I've heard of the pellicle "dropping" but this doesn't appear to have submerged. Is the brett done? I was under the impression it would take a little longer. It smells like ripe/rotting fruit.

What was the gravity when you pitched your brett? if there where enough frementables in the beer, it might form a krausen as it finishes up the simple sugars in the beer.

What yeast did you use? I have seen a pellicle form over night once from using cultured jolly pumpkin dregs, but for the most part the ones I have seen took a few weeks to months to appear, then the bubbles that form don't pop for days. I have one pellicle that is almost two now, I named him Harry. depending on the temp they are at pellicles can take a long time to fall, the higher the temp though can speed things up a bit.

What was the gravity when you pitched your brett? if there where enough frementables in the beer, it might form a krausen as it finishes up the simple sugars in the beer.

What yeast did you use? I have seen a pellicle form over night once from using cultured jolly pumpkin dregs, but for the most part the ones I have seen took a few weeks to months to appear, then the bubbles that form don't pop for days. I have one pellicle that is almost two now, I named him Harry. depending on the temp they are at pellicles can take a long time to fall, the higher the temp though can speed things up a bit.

Alas, I did not take a reading between racking off the saison yeast and adding the brett/bacteria. I used some trub from another sour batch which used WL sour mix. The house is about 70F during the day and gets down to 50-55 at night. Whenever I've felt the carboy during the day it was cool, so I'd guess lower 60s. I had bubbles that would form and get huge and then pop after a few days, and this was going very strong for ~10 days. Could this just mean that there isn't too much oxygen and the pellicle isn't needed? I've heard stories of pellicles like your Harry, and assumed mine would stick around for more than ~10 days.

Are you sure it wasn't just krausen?
Absolutely sure. You can see some photos here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/pellicle-photo-collection-174033/index9.html#post2622301

Did it ever form a solid layer? those pictures look like it was just getting started, may be it pooped out before it could fully form?. Have you tasted it yet?

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more experienced Brett users out there have to say about whats going on with your beer. Keep us posted on any changes.

Did it ever form a solid layer? those pictures look like it was just getting started, may be it pooped out before it could fully form?. Have you tasted it yet?

I'd be interested to hear what some of the more experienced Brett users out there have to say about whats going on with your beer. Keep us posted on any changes.

In the last picture of that set, it was nearly fully formed. It did get a little bit thicker, but I suppose I have no idea how thick it was "supposed" to be. I did taste it today after posting this, it tastes pretty funky and fruity, though sweet, as though it still could have a ways to go.

Back