Crazy weather and beer temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostnfoam

Reaction score
Well today the weather in New York was crazy for this time of the year. It was 70 and well the house got a little hot. When I got home from work one of the thermometer on the carboy was reading 74 to 76 or something like that. I tried not to get into panic mode and remembered relax and have a home brew. I knew that I couldn’t rush the carboys into cold water because it would shock the yeast and just make things worst. For the past couple of days I have been getting my closet ready so I could store them in there. Well I had to rush the project and get them in there I also turned on the central air to bring down the temp and get the room cooler they seem to be doing well still popping no weird reactions that I can see and I was really careful moving them. Well does anyone think I will have a problem or did I do the right thing and not panic?

You'll probably be ok, since you caught it quickly. Is the closet on an inside wall or an outside wall?

its in the corner of the house of i have the carboys in the corner so there not to close to the outside wall. i also put the carboys on some milk crate i had so they wernt resting on thefloor. i have been checking the temp they have come down from the 70 and now around 68 i would say. i guess from now on im going to be checking the beer a whole lot more to make sure nothing goes wrong. i just have know some people dont really worry about brewing in 70 + temp and others prefer 64 plus temps. i know that the higher temp will make the yeast more active but also the yeast may give off different flavor. well thanks

Back