Generic tastes....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EamusCatuli

Reaction score
Hey all,

last night I tested my Red Ale after taking its FG, its done but needs 3 weeks left to age ans whatnot. It tasted great, however, I did notice that it had the same tastes as my APA had when I tested it a while back. Do all beers sort of taste like eachother before they are carbonated and aged, maybe this is the green taste you all talk about?

EamusCatuli said:
Hey all,

last night I tested my Red Ale after taking its FG, its done but needs 3 weeks left to age ans whatnot. It tasted great, however, I did notice that it had the same tastes as my APA had when I tested it a while back. Do all beers sort of taste like eachother before they are carbonated and aged, maybe this is the green taste you all talk about?

Yeah, "green" beers tend to exhibit the same flavor characteristics. If you've tasted them in to batches of early beer, then you know what they are....

If you stay around here awhile and look at the "Is my beer ruined?" threads in the beginners forum you'll notice 2 things...That the flavor they're tasting and describing are similiar...and that they tasted it really early...usually after only 1 or 2 weeks in the bottle.

Here's a neat experiment if you've just bottled a batch set a six pack aside as a test sample.. On the fifth day after you've bottled, put one in the fridge and drink it on the 7th day. Write down the characteristics, the off flavors, etc. 5 days later put another bottle in the fridge for 2 days and drink, and diary it...

Do that for the entire six weeks.....You'll really learn alot about the aging process.

We talk here about the 1-2-3 rule of thumb...but even that is just that a generalized rule. Each beer style is different...Bigger beers take longer to mellow.

A neat resource into how long different beer styles take till they're "drinkable" is the Northernbrewer printed catalog. You can request it free from northernbrewer.com

For each of the style for the kits that they offer...they list the number of weeks till it's "ready"...How long in secondary, etc...

also, if you're doing very simple extract kits, some of them don't do a great job of adhering to style. that can lead to your beers not showing their true diversity.

Thanks for the great insight guys. Yeah they are extract kits, but tomorrow im finally brewing my own recipe! So I should learn a little bit about tasting non-kit beers.

Back