Crazy "easy mead" idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athos710

Reaction score
I've read all about JOAM (and MOAM) and several other "quick and easy" meads. They all sound like they have advantages, and disadvantages. After mulling this over, I've come up with an idea. I have 3 Mr Beer fermentors that don't get much use since I upgraded to a 5 gallon beer brewery. My plan is to do 2 batches in the Mr Beers with bread yeast and the 3rd with high attenuating wine yeast (like 1116). The recipe for each would be the same as JOAM (scaled to just over 2 gallons), but with only orange zest and the fruit flesh, no pith or rind. The plan is to rack all 3 into the same 6 gallon carboy after they clear, bulk age, then bottle.

The hope will be that the dryer wine yeast will help balance out the sweeter mead made from the bread yeast. Plus, I hope the secondary and larger volume will help with the poor flocculation of the bread yeast.

I searched the forum and couldn't find any examples of anyone blending varieties of JOAM(ish) meads. Anyone have any advice for me on this?

The sweetness in a JOAM helps balance out the taste of alcohol, allowing it to be enjoyed young. The bitterness from the pith is what helps balance out the sweetness so it isn't overpowering. But all that differs by how you like your alcohol.

My best guess is that you're going to end up with a drinkable mead, and after some aging it will be fine.

I just hope youre not planning on drinking this as early as you'd normally try out a JOAM recipe.

But if you add the sweet mead to the mead with the higher alcohol yeast wont it start back fermenting?

Back