41F to 57F too low to start brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tj-los

Reaction score
Hey all, I just want to say I haven't even started brewing my first batch yet and I have been excited about gathering all the materials needed. So I have all the materials/ingredients to make this amber ale. http://www.hoptech.com/pdf/amber.pdf all the ingredients match except I am using Nottys yeast.

The average temp has been 41F lows around here with a 57F high. I am open to suggestions to help keep this at a more "warmer" temp.
What kind of temps should I be looking to acheieve for good fermenting?
Should I brew this with these temps and just expect a real slow process?
or shoudl I just wait till I can save enough money for some type of warming unit or spring ..haha

I know most of the experienced guys probally have fancy heaters but I am a little low on finances.

Thank you all for your help, looking forward to your answers!:)

its too low for a ALE! i think that you need to wait till warmer temps or buy or make a temp control. or you need to find a way to stabilase temp flactuation because 16 degrees is too much of the change and make a lager.

One thing some people use is a container of water that your fermenter can sit in with an aquarium heater heating the water to your desired fermentation temperature. This will help you brew ales when the ambient temperatures are that low...

I know a higher fermented lager is a "steam ale", right? Is it even possible to make a lower ferm ale? Say a "Freeze Ale"? Or will the yeasties not do their job? The reason I ask is, I seem to remember doing a West Coast PA once a few years ago at about 58-60F and it turned out very nice. But, 60F is much warmer than 41F.

If the temperature gets too low then the yeast will go dormant and flocculate out. Ale fermentation temps usually bottom out around 57-58*, with the optimum temperature between the mid 60's to mid 70"s. Anything less than that and you will probably put the yeast into hibernation.

Yes "Steam" beers are lager yeasts fermented at Ale temperatures. I currently have one going right now with WL San Fransisco Lager yeast at 62*.

its too low for a ALE! i think that you need to wait till warmer temps or buy or make a temp control. or you need to find a way to stabilase temp flactuation because 16 degrees is too much of the change and make a lager.

flactuation, isn't that supposed to say flatuation? :)

OP, don't ferment outside in those temps, or even in your garage. You must find a place to ferment indoors during the winter.

Like someone said before me, find a larger bucket that will hold your fermenting pail, along with some water and an aquirium heater and you are set. You should be able to find those two items for less than $20 all in.

Just keep your fermenter inside

I echo this sentiment. Your temperature shouldn't vary much inside your home, and ales like to be at around the same temperature most people like.

Put it in a bath tub or a plastic bin and cover it with plastic or something if you're afraid of an explosion.

I love the winter. I ferment in a sanke in a big tub with a aquarime heater and have the best control of the temp that I have ever experienced. Cheap easy and the wife loves it out of the way. Give it a try and let us know how it goes for you.

Cheers.

Our average temp at the moment is 10 LOL I brewed in the garage last week at 18. The basement is at 58. I add yeast a little warmer then normal 70 and let the temp drop naturally. Put a towel around the carboy. When it starts to ferment it will build it's own heat.

BTW - perfect temp for a Hefeweizen.

Back