Longer time in primary fermenter vs. moving to a secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallr

Reaction score
This may have been answered numerous times on here before and for that I apologize.

Here is my situation:
-first brew using an amber kit
-brewed it last Tuesday and fermenation started within the first 12 hours
-bubbles in the airlock stopped sometime today or yesterday

Should I move it to the secondary fermenter this tuesday(a week after brew)? Or, let it sit in the primary for much longer before moving it to the secondary? Thanks a lot for all your help. What would be the advantages and disadvantages to each decision? Of course, I am impatient because this is my first batch and I'm very excited for the final product.

Should I move it to the secondary fermenter this tuesday(a week after brew)? Or, let it sit in the primary for much longer before moving it to the secondary? Thanks a lot for all your help. What would be the advantages and disadvantages to each decision? Of course, I am impatient because this is my first batch and I'm very excited for the final product.

my advice is to leave it, but search 'secondary' and you can find a butt-load of threads.

agreed. leave it in the primary. unless you are intending to actually perform a secondary fermentation (adding fermentables), dry hop, or condition for MONTHS...primary is as far as your beer needs to go.

work on that impatience and even leave it in there for another 2-3 weeks. you wont regret it. in the meantime, get another batch going using your other fermentation vessel as a primary.

Back