I made bubblegum!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave11980

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I fermented too hot and I'm sure I cooled the wort down good but somehow my attempt at a cream of three crops ale came up tasting like bubble gum today when I was bottling. We'll have to see what it's like chilled and after a few weeks of conditioning but I'm worried.

It sounds like the fermentation got above 70 degrees, or else you used a Belgian yeast or something! That bubblegum taste is common in ales that got too warm during fermentation, and is also a trademark of some yeast strains. Hefeweizen yeast will get those notes, too, as well as Belgian strains.

It fermented in my basement with average temps in the 60's so I don't see how it could have gotten that high. The only think I can possibly think of is that I had a harder fermentation (really got bubbling for a couple days) so maybe that kept the temps up. What ever it is I have 42 bottled up. I meant this for a party in about 3 weeks so we'll see what the flavors do.

Don't worry too much, on my first batch I hated the way the wort tasted and worried the entire time. Now that's it's all done and over with I have an amazing tasting blood orange hefeweizen that has gotten props at two different parties now.

maybe did you use bleach to sanitize? Ive heard that gives bubblegum flavors if it isnt rinsed thoroughly.

I had the exact same issue with the 3rd batch I made. The temperature of fermentation was high, and I got off flavors as a result. For a while we were thinking about calling it Dubble-bubble. After sitting for 4 months or so, the bubblegum flavors went away.

Back