Pumpkin or Honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cch0830

Reaction score
I'm going to brew my second batch ever, but need help deciding which to go with. Pumpkin or honey? My friend is about to brew a pumpkin recipe that I was going to use so I wanted to brew something different unless I can find another pumpkin recipe. So, I thought a honey would be good, but I've heard its hard to find a good recipe that actually has a honey flavor.

Don't mind if I do!

Any style (preferably easy for a beginner) that has a honey flavor.

Don't mind if I do!

I've got Midwest honeybee ale in the secondary right now ready to bottle. Was very easy and with my hydro sample that I tried today, It's gonna be damn tasty! Added an extra lb of honey at flameout to boost the abv a bit and add a tiny bit more taste.

2ND the MidWest Honey Amber Ale (w/LME) . . . I just bottles it yesterday -- tastes fantastic. Can't wait for it to carb up. VERY good, VERY easy. I added the Honey for the final 20 mins of boiling. I could definitily taste the honey but it isn't overly sweet but not very hoppy either -- just an easy to drink brew. I picked it becuase I thought my wife would like it (and support the brewing of even more beer!).

I followed the kit exactly (didn't add any extras -- looks like green_bierz added extra honey). Here is the recipe (find it at: www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-amber-ale.html ):

"Our ingredients for this recipe include: 6 lbs. Gold liquid malt extract, 2 lbs. Minnesota Clover Honey, 8 oz. Caramel 80L, 2 oz. Special B, 2 oz. Roasted Barley specialty grains, 1/2 oz. Galena bittering hops, 1 oz. Fuggle aroma hops, priming sugar, and a grain bag."

damn, i didnt even see that amber honey! i did this one http://www.midwestsupplies.com/honey-bee-ale.html and added an additional lb of honey.
looks like ill be doing the amber honey next.
this one is turning out VERY clear and very light. the BMC drinkers should love the hell out of it, and i have some die hard "good beer" fans waiting on this one as well.
:mug:

Back