Should I let temperature rise in primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiredboy

Reaction score
I have had my irish ale sitting in the primary at 66-68F for about 10 days. Bubbling stopped at least 4 days ago. Should I let the temperature rise a bit for the rest of the time in the primary (and if so, what to, 70, 72???) or should I just keep it at 66-68?

I have seen verious comments about fermentation temps but I was hoping for a final (?) verdict.

I had planned on letting it sit in primary for 3 weeks then bottling and letting the bottles sit at around 72 for as long as I can resit them!

After the first few days the temp dosen't mater near as much. The first 24 hours are the most critical. With enough yeast I'd expect it to be finished completely in less than a week. As long as you can store it under 80F it should be fine.

What yeast did you use? If its the Irish Ale Strain that's a good temperature for that yeast when I used it. You could let it rise a few more degrees as 99% of ester production is created during the primary fermentation phase. I let all my beer sit in my beer closet that is at a steady 70* (after the primary phase has been completed).

I think you're plan sounds good for your schedule, but I would keep it at 66-68 for the entire fermentation if you can. If you can't...no problem. The only beers you really want to ramp temps up on are belgians, and that should be done before fermentation is fully finished.

Used a dry yeast (muntons premium I think). I used it for my first brew which was brewed in a room with 72F ambient and seemed fine.

This brew is in a freezer with a temperature controller so it can sit at whatever temp is best.

I was confused as I had read some posts that letting the temp rise after the first few days is a good thing. If there is no benefit to letting the temp rise, maybe I'm better leaving it as is.

Letting the temp rise will just speed it up. It helps some strains to finish cleaner and not floc out too soon.

I think it's ideal to pitch a few degrees under fermentation temp, let fermentation warm it up and when the temp falls as the fermentation slows heat it up more.

Back