Shroom beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pimp Juice

Reaction score
I wanted to make a shroom beer. I was thinking 1-2 onces for a 5 gallon batch, and since they have a sunflower seed taste mabey do a porter? Any suggestions?
And what would be the best time to put them in, at the end of the boil or during the mash? What temp does psilocybin break down at?

For magic mushrooms, I don't think you want to boil them. I would soak them in water for a few days, mix with vodka or everclear up to about 15% alcohol, let it sit for a few days, sample the liquid, and then add it to the beer. no pasteurization. But that's just my hunch. I'm not a shroom expert. Only did them once.

Pimp Juice said:
I wanted to make a shroom beer. I was thinking 1-2 onces for a 5 gallon batch, and since they have a sunflower seed taste mabey do a porter? Any suggestions?
And what would be the best time to put them in, at the end of the boil or during the mash? What temp does psilocybin break down at?

First of all, I like your style

Do not boil! Extreme heat will deteriate the psilocybin

use 1-2 ounce (depending on strength/strain...I use lab grown, no cow patties for me) of dried shrooms to make shroom tea.

Then add it to your wort in the primary or secondary, I add to secondary.

WhenI do this it is not with beer though it is with a fruity malt beverage of mine.

Good luck and BE CAREFUL who you give your brew in this case

I've heard that alcohol helps extract the psilocybin. I also figure that there is a risk of infection with the shrooms. Sure, lab-grown ones are sterile in the lab, but from there to your doostep, who knows what they've gone through. So I would definitely want to "sterilize" them a little. So, while you can't use heat, it seems to me that adding them to water, and then later adding up to 20% everclear and letting it rest should go a long way toward killing any nasties.

You should probably do a potency check first. If you have a good source, figure out how much is required for a good experience. I find that even with really good stuff, it's about a 16th of an oz.

With that in mind, figure out how many beers you want a person to consume to have this experience. I'd recommend stretching it out to at least 3 beers. In that case it's just over 1/2 gram per beer. That'd mean that you'd want at least one oz (26.25 grams by my calculations) for a 45 bottle batch of beer.

Now I know first hand that making tea never gives as strong an experience as eating them, so you may want to nudge up to about 35-40 grams.

I would pulverize the caps and stems and simmer to make a tea, then add all of the contents to your secondary or even your bottling bucket.

o dear lord

all i know is that when I used to shroom, I would drink, drink, and drink more. And now the beer has psilocybin in it? Sounds like a one way trip to the ER for me.

I find it funny that as I am reading this there is a url ad for 'Growing your own mushrooms". Perhaps the ad gleans text from the posts, or maybe I'm just trippin.

:fro:

At any rate, I would have to wonder why you want a mushroom flavored beer. Sure I have thought about it, with culinary mushrooms (There are certain types that have an almost fruity characteristic flavor profile vs. the earthy "mushroom" flavor). I have even made ice cream with mushrooms (the type I am speaking of). But mushroom flavored beer kind of freaks me out, lol. Better to keep mushrooms with a steak and drink a porter or stout on the side, imho.

Back in college, I did a lot of "experimenting" with this particular product. I had some really really good ones and equally bad. I personally think that you need to keep the dose low so that each person can up their dosage to their desired levels. It's a fantastic substance, but one that I haven't touched in 7-8 years.

It sounds nice on paper, but I think it's a bad idea. For one, shrooms taste like ****. You want to cover the taste and get them down as quickly as possible. The tea method with lots of honey and stuff to cover the taste helps, but it's still pretty bad. I'd think that adding them to beer would feature the taste instead of masking it. And featuring something that tastes like **** is going to give you beer that tastes like ****.

I', in the same boat as Cheese. Did my fair share in college, but haven't touched any in a long time.

zoebisch01 said:
I find it funny that as I am reading this there is a url ad for 'Growing your own mushrooms". Perhaps the ad gleans text from the posts, or maybe I'm just trippin.

:fro:

If it does search the posts for repeated words we could have fun with this :p

All I know is that I better be careful before I swap beers with some folks. The first time I unknowingly drink a shroom or pot beer I can guarantee I'll get tapped for a random pee test.:drunk:

lmfao... whos the drug dealer up in here? HAHAHAH. Shroom beer eh? Well... this particular beer isnt really special for taste, more for content. IDK about you but three homebrew porters would get me pretty full and buzzed. I would dose it for two beers if you end up with a porter. Besides, if you make them stronger, you immediatly go from 16 doses per batch to 25! HAH!! Stretch it out baby....

take care!

One final thought: who says that's the only beer you'll be drinking anyway? Why not make one beer = one dose, and have plenty of other tasty homebrews on hand.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
Or you could just drop a tab in each bottle.
For some reason this made me laugh hysterically . . .
Oh wow, look at my hand!
LET PHIL SING!!!!
stealyourbeerhn7.png

So I went to the homebrew shop and talked to the main guy about this. He discourged me and for good reason. He made the point that shrooms shouldn't be mixed with alcohol cause it numbs the effects. Psychedelics typically enhance the senses, alcohol does the oposite. Its a waste of shrooms and beer.

The best ever. Take at least an OZ of shrooms. Boil 1/2 gallon tap water for about 30 minutes to remove all chlorine etc. Turn off heat. Add shrooms. Cover. Turn off heat. Let steep for at least 2 hours. Strain. Add the resulting strained water to your bottling at the same time you add your DME or corn sugar for carbonation. Do not boil this water with your DME or corn sugar as that will kill the effect I assume you are going for... Do the corn sugar/DME boil separately and add separately. This is best in a highly flavored/hopped beer to disguise the nasty shroom taste. Also, don't let this one sit around for more than a couple months in the bottle after the introduction of the shroom juice. It can become toxic at that point. Best bet, and I'm sure, this won't be a problem, drink it FRESH! Enjoy. Best fun beer in a bottle. You can't do this as easily with weed. Shrooms are way more brew friendly!

I still, 15 years later have requests for this one... I suggest a coppery IPA... lots of hops and crystal malts. Suggest 1 lb of 60L to 12 lbs base malt, and bitter, flavor and aroma hop highly. Maybe even add a lb of toasted malt, and or 1/4 lb chocolate and/or/ black patent malt to the mash. If you are feeling extra groovy, get some unmalted grains from your local hippie store, grind, gelatanize and add to the mash for more character and to hide the shroom flavor. If you don't own a malt mill try a pound of steel cut oats, crushed wheat, or cereal crushed blend. If you do own a malt mill, then just check out your options. Really fun at this point...

Dunno, drinking is the last thing on my mind w psillies. You can certainly extract the alkaloids with a hot, just under boiling soak for 30 minutes. Once the stuff is free from the tissue, it oxidizes pretty rapidly. I would add the contents from the hot water (rose hips w a bit of honey is nice in there too) steep, free of O2, to the keg/bottles whatever. I like the tea because you can't taste 'em, and it doesn't arf with my stomach. Never, ever, eating em raw again. Them twigs just ain't good for the belly. Hypothetically, of course. Still, why not just have some tea and then decide later if you want alcohol as well?

If you added hydraulically grown nice clean shrooms to the 2nd fermenter if you did a 5 gallon batch and added 2 oz of gold shrooms I'd get about the punch of 1 gram of shroom to each 12 oz bottle which if you drank a nice half gallon growler of it you'd definitely feel a little something I've never brewed with shrooms but I've gotten drunk as hell while tripping on shrooms if you decided to name it I'd definitely encourage a name involving the words "black out" or "wake up naked at your house when you don't remember anything after going outside to have a smoke at a party 30 miles away" something along those lines

Back