Should I use gelatine before racking off the primary into bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenmc

Reaction score
Hey guys...
The local brew supplier gave me a pack of gelatine and said that I can use that to settle out the yeast to make a clearer beer. If I use this will it take *all* the yeast out so that there'll be nothing to prime the bottles?
Cheers
Ken

My understanding is that gelatine does not take out the yeast, but microscopic proteins floating in the beer. Go ahead and add it in secondary, or even primary. That's how the kits seem to work...

In my experience, I got crappy carbonation after I used the stuff. I will never do it again and will be happy with "not so clear" beer. No harm in what's floating around in there and it does not seem to affect the taste. Besides, after a few brews, no one really seems to care how the stuff looks. :)

Exactly. Clarification through sedimentation is enough for me... I'll drink opaque beer as long as it's ready for me.

Grand so, I'll skip the gelatine. The yeast doesn't bother me at all, it's just some "guest drinkers" that don't like it so much...
K

Back