Deep Faucet Adapter for Wort Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DM3MD157

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a wort chiller but I have an issue with finding the right faucet adapter. I have a pull-out faucet that has a sprayer that doesn't allow for a standard faucet/garden hose adapter. When you remove the aerator you can see that it screws pretty deep into the plastic. Also note that there is virtually no room around the aerator for any adapter that has knurling or facets. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that has deep threads on the faucet end? After rigorous searching I was unable to find anything. I know some folks suggested to tap off the supply line under the sink, however I want to find a solution that connects to the faucet head. Here are some pics to show what I am talking about.

faucet1.JPG

faucet2.JPG

I just went through a very similar situation with my hansgrohe kitchen faucet. My normal adapter would bump into the garden hose threads before it got good threading on the faucet threads and I would have little streams of water going everywhichway. I ended up getting a different adapter (dual adapter) from Lowes that is taller and has a knurled middle section that's the same diameter as the faucet threads, and this knurled section is what allows it to sink into the faucet assembly so well. It has worked very well for me and was only about $3 or so. I cannot find it on the lowes website although that's where I had found it before. If I can rustle up a link or photo I'll post it here.

I actually got mine at lowes and they had it in stock (exact same part), of course YMMV.

The knurled part is the same diameter as the faucet threads so it will clear the recess. On my faucet, I simply grab and twist the garden hose threads to tighten. Since mine is like yours (plastic faucet threads) I don't overtighten so as not to strip my faucet threads.

Any chance you can find it on their website for me? I can't seem to find it. I can take a ride and see if they have it. I take it it will be with all the aerators?

*edit sorry I didn't read your first post thoroughly. Is the band and model the exact same as the home depot one?

I've just looked again and cannot find it on lowes.com. My memory may be off, perhaps I really did get it at Home Depot. I know that the link I provided is the exact item I bought though; brand may be different.

The closest I can find on the lowes website is:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_126111-1366-36454B_0__?productId=3428090&Ntt=aerator+adapter

But I know I didn't bay $20+ for it, AND mine is the dual-thread variety (not that I use the other threads).

That's close but, from the picture, the knurled section on that one seems to be the same diameter as the garden hose threads whereas my knurled section is the same diameter as the faucet threads (i.e. smaller diameter). The smaller diameter is what allows this adapter to fit into the recess of my faucet and still gives enough GHT to get my immersion chiller on.

Another idea might be to plump a valve under the sink for brewday. No need to remove the faucet parts. Just screw a hose onto the valve (or push it on if you rig up a quick connect) and turn the valve on.

It's faster and easier and may also allow for more flow. And the hose can stay under the sink, ready to go if you have the space for it.

I think it would be a nice option for those who are not afraid of a little plumbing.

Another idea might be to plump a valve under the sink for brewday. No need to remove the faucet parts. Just screw a hose onto the valve (or push it on if you rig up a quick connect) and turn the valve on.

It's faster and easier and may also allow for more flow. And the hose can stay under the sink, ready to go if you have the space for it.

I think it would be a nice option for those who are not afraid of a little plumbing.
Do I just tap off the supply line? Can you link me to some parts off of homedepot that would give me an idea of what I would need?

I went to lowes and got a combination of two adapters to make it work:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_387210-1366-10517_0__?Ntt=387210&UserSearch=387210&productId=3647064&rpp=32
http://www.lowes.com/pd_387203-1366-10512_0__?Ntt=387203&UserSearch=387203&productId=3647056&rpp=32

The knurled section of the 15/16" adapter sits far enough away from the faucet head that I can use it to hand tighten it. In the future, if brew very often, I might opt for doing a permanent under the sink solution. But for now, this will probably do!

For connecting under the sink you could place a T between the water pipe and supply line maybe something like this (You may need something else depending on your own home's plumbing):

046224029564lg.jpg

Then add a valve to turn the water on and off to your chiller (Again, there are many different kinds, so choose one that fits your home and personal taste):

046224029359lg.jpg

I'd probably go with a size that matched the incoming line size so as to get the most flow possible. For me it would be 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8" copper T with a 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch 90 degree valve for easy reach. I'd put snap fittings on and keep the hose out from under the sink due to having WAY too much crap under there now.

The 3/8" part of the T would supply the sink faucet, while the 1/2 inch would supply the chiller.

Back