Use it or lose it (yeast)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axegod

Reaction score
Ok, I know there has been a ton of posts on yeast washing. I have been through a bunch..but could not figure out the problem below.

I have some WY2272 Pilsen taken from my primary that has been in my fridge for about 6 months. It is full of hop leaves. Its smells like yeast - but am worried about the hop fragents (lots of hop leaves).

Providing I make the required starter - and filter out the biggest hop leaves - should I still use the yeast or should I just pony up and buy some more and properly filter it before I try to save it again?

I am worried about any off flavours from the old hops. ( I will be using the same type of hops)

I would not mess with it and get fresh yeast if it were me. If you left hops in your yeast for 6 months there are several things that could be going on here. The hop components can affect the yeast and their growth and metabolism. The hops components can also oxidize and give a potent off flavor (cheesy):cross: . A little of that can go a long way to potentially affecting a fresh wort. My thinking is why risk it, buy some new yeast.

Dr Malt;)

It's not only about being cheap. I just like the idea of being able to reuse yeast. How much of it do you have? You can try washing it now & then make a starter like Bill says. I've successfully used some harvested pilsener yeast after 3 months in the fridge so you never know...

I actually will get rid of this one....I do have a WY XL N. American Lager, un-used, in the fridge. It has a best before date of April 2006. My ingredients will be here in a week....so if the packge doesnt swell at all, I will make a starter for the dry Saflager-23 that is coming.

Cheers.

Axegod said:
Ok, I know there has been a ton of posts on yeast washing. I have been through a bunch..but could not figure out the problem below.

I have some WY2272 Pilsen taken from my primary that has been in my fridge for about 6 months. It is full of hop leaves. Its smells like yeast - but am worried about the hop fragents (lots of hop leaves).

Providing I make the required starter - and filter out the biggest hop leaves - should I still use the yeast or should I just pony up and buy some more and properly filter it before I try to save it again?

I am worried about any off flavours from the old hops. ( I will be using the same type of hops)

If you had washed the yeast there wouldn't be any of that stuff in the jar........

Latest posts

Back