"Dry-hopping" with grains instead of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Putting grains in the fermenter like dry hopping to get an extra malty flavor - has this been tried before?

Not sure if its been tried or not, but I'm not sure you'd get any maltiness. For one thing, you'd need warm temperatures to soak any crystal and you'd need a mash to get it from base grains. Enzymes, nutrients, ph levels, temp, etc.. will prevent a mash. Lastly, grain harbors LOTS of nasty bugs. Hops are a natural preventative so they're pretty safe, but I'd be a bit concerned adding raw grain. You'd probably just end up with a grainy flavor.

Lastly, I'm not sure there's anything you could get at the last minute in dryhopping that you couldn't get from doing it during the mash/boil. If you want an extra malty flavor, mash warmer.

Well, grains are loaded with lactobacillus, so you probably don't want to "dry malt" your beer. Probably a 99.9% chance of infection. You could boil it to kill the bacteria, but you don't want to boil your grains. So, no, I'd say it's probably not been tried before. :D

I did see an old thread where someone dry-oated their beer in the bottle, though.

i wouldn't do that, for the reasons stated above. many nasties just waiting to get in the door, and that is the perfect time. if you want more maltiness, you could boil up some more malt and re-rack on top of it

Well, grains are loaded with lactobacillus, so you probably don't want to "dry malt" your beer. Probably a 99.9% chance of infection. You could boil it to kill the bacteria, but you don't want to boil your grains. So, no, I'd say it's probably not been tried before. :D

I did see an old thread where someone dry-oated their beer in the bottle, though.

Was it one or three flakes per bottle? I remember that thread. He tried it with one bottle and it was the best one. Then he tried it again, or something!

I'd even say 100% chance.

Theres probably a reason that this isnt something that brewers do, or talk about doing...

might be intersting to steep something like a crystal malt or some unfermentable, than boil it for 10-15mins, and add it to secondary

might not be any difference but worth a try

Adding some maltodextrin would boost the body and that would enhance the existing malt. Alternately, steeping 3-4 oz of Aromatic malt in a pint of water, then boiling it to sanitize would help.

might be intersting to steep something like a crystal malt or some unfermentable, than boil it for 10-15mins, and add it to secondary

might not be any difference but worth a try

I did this once with black patent. I brewed an oatmeal stout and forgot to add it to the mash. After fermentation finished I steeped the black patent, boiled for 15 minutes, cooled it and poured it into secondary and racked the stout on top of it. Came out pretty good.

I did this once with black patent. I brewed an oatmeal stout and forgot to add it to the mash. After fermentation finished I steeped the black patent, boiled for 15 minutes, cooled it and poured it into secondary and racked the stout on top of it. Came out pretty good.

I read this post earlier and happened to come across this article in BYO

http://***********/stories/recipes/...ck-in-black-the-truth-about-black-patent-malt

Notice that Black malts are considered sterile and some breweries use them in the fermenter as you mentioned.

Just notice, as so many have previously mentioned, that pale malt is not the same and can contaminate your beer.

This sounds like a need for a mini mash. Take what ever grains you have, and use all the proper rests, ratios ect, boil, hop, and add that to the fermentor to see what happens. Heck, use it to carbonate (just calculate the right amount needed for CO2 units.)

Back