How many batches per tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clayof2day

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just accquired my turkey fryer and did my first AG batch this weekend. It went pretty well and I actually hit my target OG at 70% efficiency with only a few minor hiccups. I did Rhoobarb's D. McElderly's Irish Wake Stout and it has been bubbling away in the primary the last few days, it looks great, smells great and was a lot of fun (even though it was the coldest day of the year last saturday).

Anyways, I was curious how many batches you fellas average from a tank of propane?

I guess thats it.

clayof2day said:
Anyways, I was curious how many batches you fellas average from a tank of propane?

I guess thats it.

I usually get 4 to 5 five gallon batches out of a tank. But that varries with the temp outside. I batch sparge, so I'm only heating water twice and boiling for 60 min.

4 or 5 seems to be pretty common. Things will change this, like temp outside.. wind is a big factor... if the flame is getting blown around dont count on anything being efficient

4-7. depends if I'm doing AG or extract. I have a second tank just in case. I've got a source 5 miles away now, but it was 32 miles when I first moved to Oregon.

Jeez I dunno. I BBQ a lot, so an accurate guess...would be about 4, 60 minute boils. My source for propane is next door at a convenience store so if I ever run out I can be up and running in less than 10 minutes.

boo boo said:
My source for propane is next door at a convenience store so if I ever run out I can be up and running in less than 10 minutes.

Hey, BeeGee...

how fast can you ninja-steal propane from your neighbor?

-walker

My tank holds 4.5 gallons of propane. I brew on a B3 1550 and use the burners to heat cleanup water to pump thru my SMART and Whirlpool systems so I use a little more propane than others.....

Here's what I found interesting...

When I brew out in the open .....(under my deck) I consistently use 2.3-2.5 gallons.

This winter I've moved some of my brewdays into the garage. (out of the wind and rain) In the garage....I'm only using 1.5 gallons on a brewday.

Wind sure does make a big difference!

clayof2day said:
... I did Rhoobarb's D. McElderly's Irish Wake Stout...

Hey Clay, I hope you enjoy it! Let me know how it works out!:) I just entered two bottles of my last batch into a local competition, my first.

I find that in mild weather or when I'm brewing outdoors in Summer, I can get four batches, even if all four are 90 min. boils. In really cold weather, it drops to three, even though I'm in the garage.

Back