using the original container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegas20s

Reaction score
I got 2 gallons fro 8 bucks at costco, poured out a 1/4 gallon from each and stored in fridge (to be added back when bottled).

I dumped a 1/4 cup of us-05 yeast trub from a IPA I just bottled into the containers, put cap on and shook vigorously.

I took the cap off drilled a whole in it and put an air lock in both bottles.

these things are bubbling away now 12 hours later.

I've read a lot of posts on using original bottles to ferment and while I looked all over and couldn't fine the answer to what I wanted to know.

I am going to bottle them of into beer bottles and let them get carbonate and add some sweetness (hence saving 1/2 gallon of the juice).

How long can I let these sit in the original containers? I've read that plastic will leach oxygen but for a quick fermentation I figure it should be ok. I would still like to get an idea of how long is too long with the original containers.

(FYI they are PET #1)

I've let cider ferment for up to a month in the original containers with no noticeable oxidation problems, but I wouldnt go much longer. Shoot for 2-3 weeks to be safe

PolyEthylene Terephthalate (PET) is the same material the Better Bottles are made out of. I see no problem in using them. But I don't know that I'd recommend cleaning and reusing. Probably best to dispose of the old and use a new one if necessary.

PolyEthylene Terephthalate (PET) is the same material the Better Bottles are made out of. I see no problem in using them. But I don't know that I'd recommend cleaning and reusing. Probably best to dispose of the old and use a new one if necessary.

Yeah I have no intention of keeping them. I am just trying to do easy apartment cider.

you should be fine even longer than a month, original product was probably in there more than 30 days. my first experimental cider was done this way. worked great!

FYI

I have these bottled off and in the fridge now.

The apple juice I back sweetened with got ate up by the yeas in almost a day. So this cider came out pretty dry and very bubbly.

The actually liked it though so it's a win in my book.

Back