Dead Guy Clone OG too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
So I brewed a dead guy clone following the directions from the BYO 250 clone magazine.

My efficency must have been too good becasue I got a 1.082 OG instead of the recommended 1.065

I brewed it Feb 26th and used Pacman @ 60 degrees For 3 weeks in primary then transferred to secondary for 2 weeks at 68 degrees.

Its been carbonating at fridge temp for a week now

Final gravity was 1.024...

I did use a starter.

So the final product is now 6 weeks old and is slightly carbonated. I'll give it another week but it tastes pretty boozy.

Couple questions.
1. Will it mellow over the next 2-3 weeks? I have read higher gravity beers sometimes take up to 2 months to mellow.
2. Anyone used Pacman before? It said 60 degrees. I did not get full attenuation it seems. Do you go 60 degrees for a week then bump it up or do the full ferment at 60 degrees.

Next time I guess I will recude my grain bill a bit to get more in line with the correct gravity and maybe pitch some yeast nutrients to get better attenuation?

Suggestions would be awesome!

2 months is the minimum I'd age it. It'll get a lot better after 4-6 months, but I'm usually so impatient only a few bottles last that long.

1. I've never used Pacman, so I'm not sure how it cleans up. 2-3 weeks will certainly help. But a lot depends on the conditions in which you fermented and the higher-order alcohols produced that might be overwhelming. Certainly the longer you age it, the better it will be.

2. With most top-fermenting yeast strains you only need control temperatures for the first 3 days or so. After that you can crank it up.

I was going to let it carbonate for 2 more weeks which should give it more time to mellow. That will be 8 weeks total. Is it better to let it "mature" at room temp or at fridge temp in the corney or does it not really matter?

I made a great copy of Dead Guy many years ago, with a recipe from my local store, when it was still new. I may still have it in one of my notebooks, and it wasn't nearly as complicated as this thread makes it seem.

Back