Question about starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyD

Reaction score
I made a starter Wednesday afternoon. I shook the growler about ever 30 minutes or so to get it aerated and the yeast moving. On Thursday afternoon, I placed the growler in my fridge to allow the yeast to settle out. Its Friday night and the yeast haven't really settled much. The suspension is very murky. It is WLP 001 yeast. Should I just take the yeast out of the fridge and let it get back to room temp and pitch the whole starter? I was hoping just to pitch the yeast slurry from the starter. Its not a huge deal, just want to get another opinion.

Same question, but with Hefeweizen low flocculation yeast?

I have the same question. In my case, I'm brewing a Hefeweizen and my yeast is Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen. I pitched the smack pack into 1.5 L wort (amber DME). I've refrigerated over 12 hrs. There is a bottom yeast layer, but the top beer layer is still very cloudy. I realize this is a low flocculation yeast strain so wondering if I should just pitch to whole thing. I'd prefer not to (in case off flavors), but I guess I have to if the beer layer isn't clear by pitching time (about another 12 hrs from now).

Does anyone have experience with low flocculation yeast?

My German Ale starter (low floc) I let go for about a week and by the time I stuck it into the fridge it was already clearing up. 2 days in the fridge and it looked good.

Its about a 1.5 L starter. I am making a clone of Pliny the Elder.

So, assuming your starter is in DME, a little bit if it for Pliny the Elder should not make a significant impact on taste but 1.5L may be a bit too much. No sign of the yeast precipitation in the bottom yet?

Yeah some of the yeast precipitated out. But I removed it from the fridge yesterday afternoon. It formed some krausen after removing warming up, so I am guessing the starter just wasn't done before I put it in the fridge. Any who, I ended up pitching the whole starter. Hopefully there aren't any noticeable off-tastes.

Latest posts

Back