carbonation/bottle conditioning eat sugars too?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edsrockin

Reaction score
okay, i have just tried my aventinus clone. it has only been bottled for two weeks and i know it isn't ready yet, but was curious and wanted to try it anyway.

it does have a little carbonation, but certainly needs more time, as i expected. however, it is way sweeter than i would expect. (i'm not good at describing tastes, but it seems like it has the sweetness of the "extract twang" i have read about here. it was a late addition.)

i typically don't drink 'em early, but wanted to try this as the FG sample tasted pretty good (and yes, the FG did read what was expected). so my question is does beer lose it's sweetness as it conditions? basically, can i expect this to not be as sweet once it has carbed up?

oddly enough the "extract twang" taste i described is very similar to my attempt at jamil's spice ale. the beer tasted okay but it has the same sweetness to it, and it has a totally different grain bill as well as having plenty of time to carb up. i am beginning to wonder about my bottling procedure since they are both so similar. both did meet the expected FG so i would think the problem begins during conditioning.

thanks.

The yeast will eat up the sugar to carb the beer. Keep an eye on it if it is really sweet so you don't have bottle bombs.
Cheers!

Back