Simplified FAT TIRE GF Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
A gluten intolerant friend misses Fat Tire and Id like to do something similar using Sorghum Syrup, Brown Rice Syrup, Fuggle and Willamette hops. Any ideas?

Im not sure Ive had it once 4 years ago lol Theres 1/2 lb chocolate malt in a clone Ive seen but I dont know if chocolate malt is gluten free... I guess all I can really do is take a clone recipe and replace all the malts with the syrup huh?

That's how I've started some of my recipes. Any barley malts should not be used as they are not gluten free. Check this thread for info on gluten free ingredients to use. I'm thinking that your friend will be happy just to get a homebrewed gluten free beer even if it isn't exactly like Fat Tire.

No it isn't :( Pretty much all the malts you see in recipes and in the catalogs are going to be either barley or wheat based. Chocolate refers mostly to the color and a bit flavorwise as well.

I'm just starting my GF brewing adventure so I can't offer any recommendations as what to sub for the chocolate malt.

You could roast some gluten free grains really dark like I have for my brown ale. I don't know what other qualities chocolate malt would contribute since I've only ever brewed gluten free.

You could roast some gluten free grains really dark like I have for my brown ale. I don't know what other qualities chocolate malt would contribute since I've only ever brewed gluten free.

A faint burnt, coffee-esque flavor. I would replace with .25oz of coffee.

Maybe something like:
6lb Brown Rice Syrup (60min)
1lb Amber Candi Syrup (60min)
.25oz Coffee (Primary)
4tsp Yeast Nutrient (When pitching yeast)

Copy the hop schedule from your clone.

Ferment with Fermentis S33.

Good luck!

Did someone actually brew this? Curious to how it turned out. I just bought my first round of GF ingredients and I might try this one out.

I didn't brew this particular recipe for them but I did brew this one that I will post, and they LOVED IT!!!

6.5 lbs. Briess White Sorghum Syrup (45 high)
2 lbs. BriesSweetTM Brown Rice Syrup (45 high)
4 oz. Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses

1oz. Willamette Hops
.5oz. Fuggle Hops

Dissolve Sorghum, Brown Rice Syrup, and Molasses into boil.
Hop for 60 mins with 1 oz. of Willamette Hops..
Hop for 20 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.
Add in yeast nutrients.
Hop for another 5 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.

I didn't brew this particular recipe for them but I did brew this one that I will post, and they LOVED IT!!!

6.5 lbs. Briess White Sorghum Syrup (45 high)
2 lbs. BriesSweetTM Brown Rice Syrup (45 high)
4 oz. Grandma's Original Unsulphured Molasses

1oz. Willamette Hops
.5oz. Fuggle Hops

Dissolve Sorghum, Brown Rice Syrup, and Molasses into boil.
Hop for 60 mins with 1 oz. of Willamette Hops..
Hop for 20 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.
Add in yeast nutrients.
Hop for another 5 mins with .25oz of Fuggle Hops.

What did you use for yeast?

So i brewed this last saturday and it finished up most of it's fermentation it seems. I have a real crappy set up. I'm still in college and I live in a fraternity house with no ac so i can't really control my fermentation temp, anywhere between 75 and 90 this past week. The only things I changed, I used a pound of dark candi sugar instead of molasses and I uses s-33. I just had a sample and honestly it is the best beer I've brewed so far. Only problem is I now have to wait a few more weeks for it to condition and another few weeks to bottle.

A bit off topic but if any one knows of beer/yeast that would actually do really well in 80-90 degree weather that would be awesome.

Thats kinda out of the temp reach to avoid off flavors I believe.. And for the temp to move around between 75 and 90 over a week back and forth I've heard is also big no no. I live alone in a tiny apartment with my AC kept at 75 and I'm always fine...

the 7590 is a bit exaggerated, it's hovered a little below 80. The ambient temp has ranged that much but i kept it in front of my ****y a/c so it's been constant. Still a high temp but there's not a lot I can do.

Sly - Try a German wheat. That will be able to ferment high. You can also build a styrofoam box with a hole for a computer fan. Put frozen water bottles in the box. Swap out the bottles every 12 to 24 hours. The box will need to be sealed to some degree. I am sure there is a thread on it somewhere.

I actually made one yesterday. I went to my LHBS and they had WB-06 so I gave that a shot. As soon as it's done I'll repitch the yeast into another recipe. I'm too damn impatient for this hobby.

Bottle this up today, I split the batch and added coffee to half and left half normal. In a couple of weeks I'll see how they are but right now I like the coffee one a little better. It covers up the sorghum a little and adds a real nice coffee flavor. It helps that I like coffee.

I also finished the wit and it is pretty damn tasty. I changed my mind though and brewed up an ipa instead of another wheat-style. I have the attention span of a mouse.

It's a tough call between the two. I put half in ~25 oz of coffee and it is a bit strong on the coffee taste.. It is quit a bit darker and I think the head lasted longer but I'm not sure. They are both pretty tasty.

Back