bitter orange peal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I'm making my second wit but this time primary fermentation will take place in a carboy instead of my plastic bucket. There for I will have to siphon out of the brew pot. Last time I brewed a wit, I let most of the orange peals go into the primary and then got rid of them after racking for bottling. I was wondering if not having the orange peal in the primary would lessen the flavor a lot.?

I don't think so. If you put them in for the last 10-15 mins you'll get plenty of that flavor. I'm drinking a belgian right now and it's LOADED w/ orange and spice flavor! I had no particles make it to the primary.

z987k said:
I'm making my second wit but this time primary fermentation will take place in a carboy instead of my plastic bucket. There for I will have to siphon out of the brew pot. Last time I brewed a wit, I let most of the orange peals go into the primary and then got rid of them after racking for bottling. I was wondering if not having the orange peal in the primary would lessen the flavor a lot.?

Hey, z987k. What's the hb scene like in Champaign these days? I grew up there, but moved to Dallas eight years ago. I worked at the Piccadilly liquors on Neil St. in college and we used to sell yeast and hops. Are there any local suppliers today?

don't forget as well, with most citrus, you want to add only the colored part of the rind. ...the inner, whiter part will impart a much more bitter flavor onto the finished product.

...at least it does in normal cooking, and can only assume that Beermaking is the same.

hoffie38 said:
Hey, z987k. What's the hb scene like in Champaign these days? I grew up there, but moved to Dallas eight years ago. I worked at the Piccadilly liquors on Neil St. in college and we used to sell yeast and hops. Are there any local suppliers today?

Um, well I don't know anybody that does it here beside me.
I don't know if piccadilly sells hops and yeast or not, Ive only went there for beer. never looked, but there is a hbs in west champaign.

To everyone else, I removed the peal and coriander after the boil so I don't think there's any in the fermenter but I guess it doesn't matter.

Back