Bottling correctly question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbeachroach

Reaction score
Hello all. Had a quick question on wine bottling. I am making many batches this year in an attempt to not drink all my wine young. Aka make more than I can drink strategy!

But I do not want to put all Thai work in and later open a bottle of vinegar 2-5 years down the road. So the question is: is it proper to boil or even wet the corks at all when

Bottling to sanitize, or will this always promote "corking" as you are trapping moisture in the cork and the dead air space?

What is the right way to install a cork? How long do different methods work?

Thank you!!

Mrbeachroach

Hello all. Had a quick question on wine bottling. I am making many batches this year in an attempt to not drink all my wine young. Aka make more than I can drink strategy!

But I do not want to put all Thai work in and later open a bottle of vinegar 2-5 years down the road. So the question is: is it proper to boil or even wet the corks at all when

Bottling to sanitize, or will this always promote "corking" as you are trapping moisture in the cork and the dead air space?

What is the right way to install a cork? How long do different methods work?

Thank you!!

Mrbeachroach

I just give my corks a quick sprtiz of starsan. Never had any bad bottles. Might not even need to do it. You dont need to boil your corks

You don't need to boil your corks, anything like that, it is best to keep them dry.

If I open a brand new package of corks I just use them as is no sanitizing needed. if they are from a previously open bag of corks I make a humidor. I place the corks in a large bowl with a smaller bowl in the center, I crush a couple of campden tablets in the small bowl and pour boiling water over the crushed tablets. Then I cover the large bowl with plastic wrap and the steam from the boiling water along with the campden tablets acts as a sanitizer while not soaking the corks.

Back