mop sauce using beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
anyone have a mop sauce recipe using their homebrew?

I was thinking about going out and getting a bottle of Stubb's mop sauce but then I thought i could just make one.

something you use to baste BBQ early on in the grilling process when you are cooking above 265F. I've read that some mop sauce recipes can use beer which I find a little strange since sugars burn above 265F and there's a nasty rumor that homebrew has a lot of sugar in it.... :)

todd_k said:
something you use to baste BBQ early on in the grilling process when you are cooking above 265F. I've read that some mop sauce recipes can use beer which I find a little strange since sugars burn above 265F and there's a nasty rumor that homebrew has a lot of sugar in it.... :)

One of the things I find is some charring is good. If the thing comes out pitch black that's a different story. What you could do is cook the meat a good percentage of the way done and then finish it towards the end, perhaps even lowering the heat a bit so that you won't burn it totally.

I would make sure you start with cider vinegar as a base to your mop sauce. Then add what you want. Vinegar helps break down some of the “toughness”. Or just marinade with beer and then mop. Turbinado or “RAW” sugar does not burn as easily as brown or regular sugar. I usually smoke a Boston Butt for about 14 hours @ 225-250F, with about 1lb of raw sugar on it. Basically whatever you are dry rubbing with add some to cider vinegar and beer. Although next time I brew I may save a little unfermented wort, add it to some vinegar, and use it as a base mop sauce or even a bbq sauce. hmmm

uhlee, thanks for the good suggestions!

Here's what's happening at my house right now:

Rubbed a 1/2 brisket with a mixture of Turbinado sugar, onion powder, salt, pepper, and Emeril's Essence.

Dumped a bottle of Sierra Nevada Stout into about 1/2 cup the leftover rub. Added cider vinegar until it looked and smelled good (maybe 8 oz).

Mopped the brisket with the stout sauce and began smoking at 250 with a mixture of 2/3 mesquite chips and 1/3 hickory.

Plan is to turn/mop every two hours.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

Yuri_Rage said:
IT WAS! The brisket turned out absolutely fantastic. I served it with some sauce I put together from a bottle of Stubb's, a little Cattleman's, and about 1/2 a jar of Pace Chipotle Salsa.

So wat was to drink? :mug:

Rhoobarb said:
I recalled Steven Raichlen using it on his Brisket and found it here.

I can vouch for this recipe....I have done it many times! It turns out awesome every time:)

Back