Yeast Washing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyclonebeer

Reaction score
If I wash and reclaim yeast from a batch that has some "off flavors", will those flavors be transferred onto subsequent batches?

Since a lot of off flavors are caused by yeast...yes it is very possible.

If it is a brew technique off flavor like DMS from too gentle a boil, or Diacytel (butter flavor) from stressed fermentation, then probably not.

Yeast is cheap enough though that I never risk it.

If I wash and reclaim yeast from a batch that has some "off flavors", will those flavors be transferred onto subsequent batches?

They won't be transferred per se but why would you want to reuse yeast that were producing off flavors? Yeast are going to get less and less healthy in the hands of a brewer. Yeast should be taken out of use at the first sign that performance has changed.

i wouldn't do it but i guess it depends on the off-flavours. e.g. if it's cardboard oxidation flavour i doubt if the yeast played any part in that and it won't be transfered. plus the temp makes a big difference even given the same yeast. but given the effort that goes into a batch, if you have any doubt, don't bother to wash the yeast and reuse it, stump up for some new yesat.

Presuming those off flavors come from either a bacterial infection or some wild yeasts mixing with your yeast strain, then Yes, it will be transferred to subsequent batches. However, if the "off flavors" come from skunking from light exposure or oxidization of fermented wort, then no, yeast washing would be fine. For me though, I wouldn't risk my next batch of beer on suspect yeast.

Back