Blow off question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well it's my second batch. Things were going a lot better on making the wort. It's the fermenting getting me this time.

Woke up to an active carboy. No big deal.
image-1153415226.jpg

Later I come out and found my bubbler on the ground. I just put it back on without washing it. As you can see in the picture all of the chunks came out.

image-1025197020.jpg

After that it happened again and blew up to the roof. It broke my bubbler. So I went to the store and bought tubing. And attached it to the siphon down stem into a 5 gallon bucket.

image-4004392421.jpg

I tried to return as fast as I could. Taking close to 20 mins. Is that to long for it to be in open air?

I'm kind of new myself but what I can tell you is... I did this except much worse on my first batch blew the whole bung and airlock clear off to the ceiling at night and I didn't find it till morning... haha my wife was PISSED when she saw the ceiling of our spare bathroom. This is what they told me when I ran to homebrewtalk like ahhhh help! Damage control, you already set up the blow off I see, thats all you can do, mine turned out just fine. I was told just remain calm maybe pray its not infected and wait and see what happens but you should be ok, and they were right on, i prayed it didn't get infected and let it run its course from there on and still had an awesome first brew

I wouldnt worry- you have a healthy, active fermentation going on there, so there is still CO2 being forced up the carboy, most likely with enough flow/pressure to keep anything else from getting in.

Back