New car time (maybe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankfurtvr4

Reaction score
I am sports car shopping right now. I plan to take delivery of something new in August when I get home from this deployment. I am so conflicted right now. I am going back and fourth between the 2011 premium Mustang GT Vert and the 2011 Camaro 2SS. The payments are only different by 50 bucks. Both are at the max threshold of what I am willing to pay. I don't want to jump up to the Shelby or a Vette.

I can get a few hundred bucks extra off of the Mustang if I go through Military Car Sales but if I request a quote they will harass me to death between now and the time I leave.

I have no alliance to only Ford or Chevy. I am in a paid off 02 GT vert now. Part of my just wants to repaint it and drop in a supercharged 5.4.

I have changed my mind seven times on this.

What would you jump into if it were you?

Father has the 'Stallion' tang...Go GT or nothing, Personally I like the camaro.

By the way I'm sending 2 of the movies out tomorrow. I'll have the other 2 within a week. sorry about the lag.

No worries. I really just need to put the make a decision, put the down payment down and order the damn thing. That way I can quit changing my mind every two days.

I have a wrx subaru impreza right now...Car payments BLOW.

good luck

Why is it that you want a new car? Some new feature that you can't get in your old car? Reassurance of a warranty? If there's really nothing of that nature that you can't put your finger on, then I say build up the old engine. You'll be gone a while, so if you have a reputable mechanic that will do the work for you (and not sell it out from under you when you're gone) then make yourself a monster of a car. It would be especially great if you pulled up next to a 2011 Camaro SS or Mustang GT with your "old" sleeper car, and let them have a good look at the tail lights.

And I agree with Gill. Car payments blow. If you do buy new, try to pay it off in just a couple of years if you can.

My .02

Well, I love the heads up display on the 2SS. I also love the new 5.0 in the GTs. I would flipping love to supercharge my 02 but the thought of new car smell is very attractive.

I'm a Ford guy. (Although I own a Jeep and a Dodge...) My 69 Mustang is in process of being rebuilt completely. Also own a '59 Edsel that will probably be sold since the barn it's staying in is going to be up on the market next year probably.

That said, and even though I love the new Mustang, the Camaro LOOKS BADASS! And I hear the performance is not too shabby either. The only thing I'd be leary of is Chevy's electronics. I've heard of soo many people having electrical and electronic issues with their GM cars the past many years. Stuff the dealers can't seem to fix.

You could consider getting the new 6 cylinder mustang and putting a supercharger on it..

I guess it depends on what you want out of the car. I like both but from what I understand the Camaro has a more advanced/modern chassis/suspension that helps it corner much better. If it's more of a straight line, 1/4 mile car you want then I would think dumping the cash in to your current car would get you more bang for your buck. IMO

The Camaro is the front runner right now. I am working with a dealership near Fort Bliss right now on an order. It takes 12 weeks to fill it and time is not really an issue for me. If I could find a trust worthy shop to take my car in El Paso I might go that route. I am tired of going back and forth on what the final plan will be.

You a member of Coscto?

When i bought my new car i went into a dealership that had Costco pricing. 500 over invoice. No haggling, nothing. Great deal on my Subaru.

I would buy a John Cooper Works 2011 Cooper S. All blacked out. Then I would trick it out with a big ass intercooler, oil catchcan, strut supports, etc... Somehow I don't think that's what you are looking for, but Coopers are my dream car. I will drive one for the rest of my life.

I like both of them. Have you considered the new Challenger? Good looking car and has a lot of power. Probably a bit pricey though. I think they sit a bit above the other two in price.

In case you're wavering....

black-2010-chevy-camaro.jpg

The new 392 Challenger SRT8's arrive in December. Another NICE option!

Not a Dodge guy at all, but those Challengers are one of the nicest's looking cars on the road. Now, if they would put it on a major diet......

Not a Dodge guy at all, but those Challengers are one of the nicest's looking cars on the road. Now, if they would put it on a major diet......

They just increased the torque to deal with the pork! If you like full sized family cars that do double duty as a modern hot rod, it's hard to beat any of the SRT8 vehicles (300C, Charger, Challenger, Jeep, Magnum). They are all wolves in sheep's clothing.

Back