Bottling for competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ox1574

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I keg all of my brews and just submitted my first beer to a competition. I filled the bottles from the keg with the makeshift counter pressure filler using a cobra tab, piece of racking cane, and a #2 drilled stopper. Everything worked great. What I am worried about is the beer is obviously cold from the keg and I kept the bottles in the fridge until hand delivering them to the competition. With other competitions where I have to ship them away, is it going to be an issue with the beer getting warm and then the people at the competition cooling them down again? If so, how do people ship and keep the brews cold/cool until judging?

Thanks

When you ship to a competition the cutoff for submission is early, so they will be chilled for at least several days beforehand.

Your beer will be fine while it is shipped while warm, no issues if filled properly.

So going from forty degrees in the keg to a bottle in the fridge, then shipping it to the competition it gets warm, and then they cool it down again won't be an issue?

So going from forty degrees in the keg to a bottle in the fridge, then shipping it to the competition it gets warm, and then they cool it down again won't be an issue?

Is it an issue with commercial beer? It gets shipped around. It could be cold filtered, then shipped in a regular truck. You could take it home cold, put it in the closet, and then chill it again. Think about it. If you carbed correctly, it'll pour correctly at the competition, exactly like it'd do at home. If not.....

The only problem with shipping beer is if it got VERY hot, froze, the bottle seal was lost somehow or it was exposed to sunlight. That last one is why you are required to use brown or amber bottles.:mug:

Rich

Edit - I suppose if you have chill haze problems that clear after sitting in a fridge for weeks on end, that could be a problem. But chill haze is one of the "defects" I believe judges look for, so it's an even playing field.

Latest posts

Back