$10 thru the wall therms, pics too!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
Here it is, spent alot of time in a quandry over just how to do this simply and efficiently. What you see here is a 10 gallon tun, in which I drilled a 1" hole with a hole saw. I purchased some #5 1/2 SOLID stoppers, drilled them with a 3/16" drill (just so I could squeak the probe through) The stopper is installed on the inside so that water pressure only makes the seal stronger. Tested today with 10 gallons of head pressure and no sign of any leaks. $10 per tun baby. :rockin:

http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u189/PolTavern/

The Pol

Thanks, yah, why spend $55 for a metal headache???

Pol

Looks pretty sweet to me. Thanks for the idea! Here it is inside the forum.

Insidetherm2.jpg

Cheesefood said:

I *JUST* bought that thermometer today at Target. If it's not the same brand name, it's the same exact model sold by someone else. (Just checked, it's called TrueTemp.) I think it was $16.99.

Currently it's keeping watch over 2 "lagers" (notice the quote marks, we'll se how they turn out) which are hibernating under a space blanket on a metal shelf, being slightly warmed by a desk lamp on my unheated porch.

I had an IKEA brand thermometer which worked fine until suddenly everything was 85 degrees, all the time.

I'm working towards some AG batches, but will be starting at the 3 Gal recipe size for space and equipment concerns. This is a good idea.

kvh

Those therms with the wire leads, I have had nothing but headaches with. Be sure that the wire stays dry, or it will read 400 degrees in the shade. Mine failed completely in no time, I also read alot of reviews stating the same about those therms. NOW, if you did what I did so that the wire lead stays dry and cool, it may last a long time! Simple solution and easy reading! KISS

:rockin:

Pol

I have the exact thermo and I got it at Target for $17. I've mentioned that the waterproofing solution is silicone air tubing from the pet phop. A little food grade silicone sealant at both ends and you're good to go. I don't know if the one piece probe thermos like yours has temp alarm and timer built in, but it's an awesome feature to have at least on your kettle for heating your sparge and knowing when to check for boilover.

I have never had a therm on my kettle, and since the coolers are a "no heat" item, I dont have the alarm. I used to on my old and now disfunctional thermometer. My kids think my new 10 gallon setup is soooo cooool!:mug:

Pol

I built these tuns for $75 each thus far, that includes the 10 gallon cooler, ball valve and bulkhead, as well as the thru the wall digital therms. I should go into freaking business. No shipping, pickup only! :tank:

Pol

The only downside to this I can see is you are only taking the temp in one areas. I like to check multiple localised areas to make sure there are no differentials.

I suppose good stirring would over come this and be beneficial.

That is generally what I do, mix well. Look at all the keggles with thru the wall therms. I generally mix the mash once every 10 minutes for a 60 min mash.

Pol

Great idea and I like your SS false bottom in your mash tun. It looks like the steamer insert you see in the kitchen section of stores. Ingenious solution and I like that it can easily fit different diameter coolers.

The false bottom that you DO see is from my 5 gallon tun, which I sold. My 10 gallon will have a 12" SS bottom that was purchased. You can only get 10" dia. SS steamers. No go with my 10 gallon sys.

Pol

I did have great luck with the steamers though for false bottoms... normally near 78-80% eff. Try one if you have a 5 gallon tun, they are only $4.

Pol

You CAN buy stoppers at Lowes, BUT they are a VERY HARD rubber, I was concerned that they may not seal as well. So I purchased the stoppers at a homebrew store, they are more "squishy" and seal perfectly.

Pol

I bought true-temp digital therms at Target for $8... the stoppers were like .40 each... I am brewing with that system this weekend, my SS false bottom and SS sparge arm are enroute as I type... looks like a great weekend to brew!

Pol

The Pol said:
Those therms with the wire leads, I have had nothing but headaches with. Be sure that the wire stays dry, or it will read 400 degrees in the shade. Mine failed completely in no time, I also read alot of reviews stating the same about those therms. NOW, if you did what I did so that the wire lead stays dry and cool, it may last a long time! Simple solution and easy reading! KISS

:rockin:

Pol

FWIW, if you do get the braided lead wet and throw off the calibration, a 20 minute bake in the oven at 350˚ will drive off the moisture and the probe will read correctly again. Just make sure to leave the plastic connector on the end of the lead OUTSIDE the oven when attempting this!

I had to do that several times... but there came a point where it would no longer read... it just reads "HI" all the time... they can only be baked so often from what I have seen before they short out completely.

Pol

I know I asked before about the rubber stoppers at Lowe's but since I don't have a LHBS I have to order online. The problem with that is they cost less than a dollar for two but shipping is $5.99 from AHS and almost $10 from Northern Brewer. Does anyone think the rubber stoppers from Lowe's will cause off flavors in the mash? They're standard black rubber.

I drilled 3/32 holes in both my partial mash and full mash tuns and just forced the probe through the hole, no leaks so far

I have gotten a couple inquiries again about these thermometers for coolers, so here is the BUMP for those who are interested.

Pol

Of course, use brewing stoppers, not hardware store stoppers LOL

Gotten a couple inquiries again this week... BUMP, here are the cheap cooler thermometers.

Um... I dont know what it is called. It was an industrial shelving unit from Lowes... now upgraded with Diamond Plate shelves. It is 18' deep and 36" wide... each section is.

FWIW, I've had good luck with my digital therm w/ the wire lead, (as pictured). I toss the probe in my mash, brew, beef tenderloin, and haven't had any problems. Maybe I just got lucky.

POL, glad to see another Sky God. Love the IND L/O.

EVAN! was looking for the pics, he asked me to put some up as he is planning to do this with his cooler MLT as well. Between this in the MLT, the JC A419 in the HLT and the thermocouple and PID in the BK... I have pretty good temp. reporting across the system.

FWIW, I've had good luck with my digital therm w/ the wire lead, (as pictured). I toss the probe in my mash, brew, beef tenderloin, and haven't had any problems. Maybe I just got lucky.

POL, glad to see another Sky God. Love the IND L/O.

Heh, I would not call myself a Sky God... I am pretty average, I am lucky I have not perished yet :D

Would this technique work with my keggle?

If you are firing it with gas, Id worry about the heat from the burner causing problems with the plastic thermometer. But, the stopper idea should work just fine.

I did this yesterday on my E-keggle. I switched the outlet to the bottom of the keg so I had a 7/8" hole left from where the old dip tube was. Since I don't have another keg in good condition sitting around... I figured it was a good time to put a thermometer in my keggle, to hide the hole..

So I got a #3 stopper and pushed it into the hole (almost goes all the way through but it is tight enough. I have a 1/4" probe thermometer that came off of one of the turkey fryer kits so I drilled a 1/8" hole and pushed the thermometer through (with a bit of keg lube). I think this also helped seal the stopper in the hole due to the outward pressure from the probe. Just lasted through my 2nd test on the rig today.

Back