adding cinnamon, raw almonds and vanilla

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakub

Reaction score
Hi
I would like to add these to my current brew when it goes into a secondary. Do i soak these items together in rum (Bacardi 151) or do i boil them prior to adding?

It was supposed to be an ipa but my efficiency wasnt too good so the og was 1.056 where the original plan was for 1.086. Having said that the abv will be lower then expected so i figured i could add some stuff to it to make it more appealing. Im questioning the almonds and cinnamon but i think vanilla would be a good addition to this brew. Im just not sure how to introduce it to the wort.

I'd bottle it as-is. Nothing wrong with a lighter IPA, it'll probably be delicious.

What was the recipe?

15lbs of 2 row
1 lb of crystal 40
Simcoe
Falconers flight
Safale 04 yeast
60 min boil
Mashed for 75 min at 156
Batch sparged for 30 min at 160

If your FG is anything close to normal, you'll likely have a decent IPA on your hands that requires no further messing around.

I'd just bottle it and drink it. Dry hop it for a bit first if you really want to, but I wouldn't go adding spices, nuts, and flavours to it. Does it taste gross already from the hydrometer samples? Maybe you mashed higher than you think...

Then try to figure out what happened and try it again - maybe check your thermometer calibration, mash at 152-154 for an hour, and batch sparge all you need to do is stir the crap out of it, and drain immediately - no need to let it sit for 30 minutes.

It didnt taste bad at all but once i did the og it was kind of discouraging since it was off by so much but i think you are right... im going to dry hop it in a week and then bottle it ...we will see what happens.

Latest posts

Back