Ideas for avocados?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love avocados, and Bob got a couple on sale again this week. I've been eating low-carb for a while, so no chips and guacamole. I did make a spicy guacamole to serve with chicken earlier this week, and it was great!

Does anybody have any great ideas for a low-carb main dish utilizing two ripe avocados?

I'm lucky enough to have several avacado trees. i pretty much have them all year. in addition to Guacamole, we usually cut one up on our salad each night. They are also great on a turkey sandwhich. enjoy

My lo-cal avocado guilty pleasure is shredded cabbage (cole slaw mix) light mayo, a teaspoon of the juice from a can of chipotle peppers, and sliced avocado on a wheat tortilla. Mix it all up and go to town. Probably the only low cal thing I make. Carbs? I dont know if the tortilla has a lot or not.

I really like avacado sandwiches (my most recent favorite is grilled avacado and brie)...but that doesn't cover your low carb requirement. Come to think of it, due to the fattiness and soft texture of avacado, I pretty much always pair it with some sort of carbohydrate. Rice for sushi, bread on sandwiches, chips for guacomole etc.

A compound butter like Alton Brown makes in his avacado episode would be good too. Its really good on just about any meat.

You could go whole hog and do the ice cream or buttercream icing.

Grill a chicken breast with cumin and cayenne, as the chicken finishes up add a slice of monterey jack cheese and a few slices of avocado. Come to think of it, a tomato would be good too. (It'd all be great on a nice crusty bun, but you said low carb!)

My wife makes a delicious salad that is basically avocado, tomato, cucumber, onions and olives chopped up and briefly marinated with some good balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

I like to mash an avacado & mix it in with tunafish for a tunafish salad. Just add a couple spoons of mayo, a spoon of mustard, maybe a chopped green onion & some sweet basil or tyme to the mashed avacado & tuna, mix it all up well with a fork. I always make it on toast for a sandwich, but you could also stuff a tomato with the mix, or spoon it onto a bed of lettuce, sprouts, kale, mustard greens, etc... Or you might leave out the mustard & mayo & use 2 mashed avacados with the tuna. You can also do the same thing with shrimp, crab or chicken. Regards, GF.

They're good if you cut them in half, take the seed out, hollow them out and then mash, then mix with whatever you like, put the mash back in the avacado shell and bake in an oven. mmm :) stuffed things for the win!

This is especially good with bacon and cheese, but then again, what isnt?

How about making some pita chips out of low carb pita bread? I make these often by slicing the pita bread in triangles and brushing with olive oil and a pinch of kosher salt and garlic powder. I also have an italian olive oil seasoning that I put on the chips sometimes as well. A few minutes in the oven and they're nice and crispy. Would be delicious with fresh guac and a nice crisp ale.

Slice of avocado and a slice of tomato on a rice cake. Sprinkle with garlic salt/powder. Awesome as a snack or appetizer. A little hard to eat whole so we break the rice cake into manageable sizes (about 2" x 2") and then add the avocado and tomato.

How about grilled walleye seasoned with a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, top with thin slices of avocado a bit of chopped roasted peppers, some cilantro and a squeeze of lemon, I sometimes do this as a sandwich with a smear of chipotle mayo and a slice of tomato, almost any fish works, from shark steaks to pumpkin seed fillets.

How about grilled walleye seasoned with a sprinkle of sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, top with thin slices of avocado a bit of chopped roasted peppers, some cilantro and a squeeze of lemon, I sometimes do this as a sandwich with a smear of chipotle mayo and a slice of tomato, almost any fish works, from shark steaks to pumpkin seed fillets.

That sounds delicious!!

Here is a very simple salad, very tasty and nutritious:

1 or 2 avocados
1 Grapefruit
1/2 Onion sliced
Baby spinach leaves

Thats it, you don't need dressing and it's amazingly so simple and surprisingly tasty.

Try it out.

SWMBO and I enjoy making taco salads sans chips when we have guacamole around. Some nice romaine, fresh salsa, taco seasoned ground turkey, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc. Take off the sour cream and cheese if you don't want those calories, though light sour cream isn't too bad, calories or taste wise. The crunch might not be there, but all the flavors are and it's low cal/carb

Hmmmmm...... I don't have any walleye at the moment. But I have some lake trout caught in Lake Superior. I also have some nice blue gill. That sounds great!

Hmmmmm...... I don't have any walleye at the moment. But I have some lake trout caught in Lake Superior. I also have some nice blue gill. That sounds great!

Man, I love bluegill. I used to go out and catch 25 of them in an evening. Mostly 6-7 inchers. Lot's of working cleaning them, but the are the best eats. Sunfish and perch too.

I love perch, at our cabin in the northwoods I could catch hundreds of bluegill, and plenty of crappie, but the perch were a rarity on the dinner table.

I really like avacado and lobster or shrimp tacos. With arugula, lime, chili, onion, cilantro... You get the picture. The rich avacado and the rich shellfish with clean fresh citrusy salad.

But, hmm, no carbs... Hey wait a minute, BEER has carbs!!

Pan fry is usually more oil, and turn with a tool. Saute is just enough oil to conduct the heat and the flip. More sear in saute, more Maillard.... More fry in....fry; )

Great book, but old: The Saucier's Apprentice - Raymond Sokolov.

Not sure what is low-carb. I'm on a low carb diet as well, but to me that just means eating no breads, grains, potatoes, etc. Mostly staying away from grain foods and starches. All meats, veggies, cheese, and fruits are open.

I've made an avacado salsa before that my friends all seem to ask for. I actually was going to make it for them this weekend, but it never managed to find it's way into our meals.

Take 2-4 avacados, dig out the meat and dice fairly finely. Add a couple of your favorite tomatoes (I prefer slicing type with the guts removed) and dice them up finely. Add diced green onions, a bit of jalepeno, salt and pepper, and some lime or lemon juice.

Stir it all up and it makes a great dip for tortilla chips. However, since you not doing tortillas, the only thing you have to come up with is the something to dip with!

I like this by itself, but even more so with some refried beans and shredded cheese.

Lately I've been just eating the avacados with some salt. I've sliced it and ate it with a nice salad, put it on burgers (I've had a few burgers lately with "Slimwiches" which are thin buns that are "lower" in carbs).

My problem is finding low carb chips and bread replacements. Wife made Beef Stew last night per young one's request and it was tough to not have that slice or two of homemade bread with it! (But I managed somehow.)

One of my favorite ways to eat avocados is in enchiladas. Just cut them into chunks and roll as usual. Corn tortillas are low in carbs, right?

Back