Does anyone else think Sam Adam's beer sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerLoverHere

Reaction score
How the hell are they so popular and successful? I know marketing has a lot to do with it, but most all of their beers are awful and leave the nastiest aftertastes. It's just bad. I'm always suckered into buying something new of theirs and get pissed off thinking it'll be different, but it never is.

No.

Their Boston Larger is their flag bearer and is a pretty decent beer.

With the variety of seasonal beers they are bringing to market, I think they are doing a great job of showing the variety of beers available to the average consumer. They may not be the best beers in the world, but they are usually decent at a reasonable price.

I bought a bottle from Whole Foods once and it was like drinking out of an old shoe. Really bad. I think it was just bad storage. I have not tried to drink from that brewery since.

I think they do a fine job with their beers. Some I don't like, but thats my tastes. I do think they make good clean beer though.

I bought a bottle from Whole Foods once and it was like drinking out of an old shoe. Really bad. I think it was just bad storage. I have not tried to drink from that brewery since.

Sorry I meant Samuel Smith :cross:

I can't imagine hating Sam Adams. Sure, it's not particularly exciting or adventurous, but it's very well made. Maybe the Indiana distributor doesn't handle it properly?

I'm not a fan at all either. I don't mind the Lager. Someone left a Cherry someething of theirs in my fridge at a party. That thing is horrible. My wells will have to run dry before I drink them. Have some family tha has visited their brewery and said all their beers were better there. Maybe it was the atmosphere there? Or maybe we just get all the leftover old stuff here where I live.

I had their latitude 48 or whatever IPA. I dumped the other 5 into the sink and haven't bought anything else from them since. Only time I've ever dumped any beer.

I graduated from Massachusetts Maritime Academy in 1990, almost every weekend I went with my buddy to his house in North Boston and both of us hated Bud. In fact I would buy Mic or Schlitz just to get a better flavor. We went to small bars blocks away from the night clubs to drink good beers, then to the clubs and not drink, then back to the small bars to finish off the night. Turns out that one of our favorite beers was Sam Adams and at the time it was a world above anything else available. Getting it in bottles was tough in the late 80's so we experimented with Sierra Nevada and quite a few Belgium beers. Since the late 80's I dont think I have ever bought a Budweiser from a package store.

I credit my love of good beer to Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. Would I buy it today, probably not, but I still think it is good beer the choices are just too great now. In a restaurant I did have a summer wheat a few weeks ago, it was quite good.

I do not think they suck. I drink all four seasons. I especially like the summer and oktoberfest. However I very much dislike the cherry wheat. Gross.

I like most of the Sam Adams beers, put me on my quest for good beer instead of the BMC crap i used to drink. So i got adventurous, drinking the best beers i could find. Which led me to start homebrewing!

I had their latitude 48 or whatever IPA. I dumped the other 5 into the sink and haven't bought anything else from them since. Only time I've ever dumped any beer.

Latitude 48 is rough. My least favorite for sure. The rest are great though. Try a boston lager..mighty oak..black ale...imperial white...on and on. Not as unique as some other craft companies. But they make damn good seasonals that go down easy over a weekend.

No.

Their Boston Larger is their flag bearer and is a pretty decent beer.

With the variety of seasonal beers they are bringing to market, I think they are doing a great job of showing the variety of beers available to the average consumer. They may not be the best beers in the world, but they are usually decent at a reasonable price.

nail on the head

I definitely wouldn't say they suck. For the tier brewery they are, they make decent products. However, that didn't stop me from giving Jim Koch grief at Savor this year... :)

I do agree that there is kind of a weird aftertaste to most Sam Adams. Not really my favorites. That said, Noble Pils isn't bad and I actually like the latitude 48.
Even though I don't drink em much, I like what they do as far as putting out lots of styles and what they've done for the craft beer industry and homebrewers.

I credit my love of good beer to Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada. Would I buy it today, probably not, but I still think it is good beer the choices are just too great now. In a restaurant I did have a summer wheat a few weeks ago, it was quite good.

I haven't tasted Bud since for about 15 years. I would try it again if the cans don't look so cartoonishly patriotic, just to remember. Anyway I agree with you about Sam Adams but SNPA, I see as the north american standard; somewhere between a belgium and UK IPA beer with american hops. Sam Adams is pretty good but I haven't had one of their beers that really gets me as much as the SN.

I bought a sixer of their cream stout, and liked it. Their Boston Lager is another story though( I can't stand it). I do have to give Sam Adams credit though, they got me out of my BMC rut, and got me into good beer again.

Alpine spring is possibly the worst commercial beer I have ever tasted. Aside from that I find Sam Adams is similar enough to pass one off to a BMC drinker and something I would drink as well. Good middle ground for me and my brothers.

jerryteague said:
I bought a sixer of their cream stout, and liked it. Their Boston Lager is another story though( I can't stand it). I do have to give Sam Adams credit though, they got me out of my BMC rut, and got me into good beer again.

+1 to this. I don't like most Sam Adams but I like their cream stout, blackberry witibier, and the cherry wheat as a dessert beer. A pint of cherry wheat with some cherry pie or cobbler.... Fantastic

I think most Sam Adams are pretty good. The notable exceptions are Porchrocker and Cherry Wheat, both of which I can drink if it's all that's available, but I'd rather drink BMC than those. Blech!

Alpine spring is possibly the worst commercial beer I have ever tasted. Aside from that I find Sam Adams is similar enough to pass one off to a BMC drinker and something I would drink as well. Good middle ground for me and my brothers.

I had no objections to their alpine spring. Didn't think it was great, but really curious as to how you found it so objectionable. Almost makes me wonder if that bottle was seriously mishandled. Oh well.

I'm a fan of their noble pils, cream stout, latitude. And boston lager is a godsend when you're in a bar that has nothing but that and BMC.

I'm a big fan. They brew a large number of different styles on a large scale, and they do a pretty good job of it. I've never had a single beer of theirs that I thought wasn't well made. Some may not have the flavor I'm looking for, but all their beers are pretty well done. I would drink a Sam Adams over a number of smaller craft breweries any day, and I work at a small craft brewery.

+1 to this. I don't like most Sam Adams but I like their cream stout, blackberry witibier, and the cherry wheat as a dessert beer. A pint of cherry wheat with some cherry pie or cobbler.... Fantastic

I'm not sure, but I suspect the beers you like are the ones that most here don't like.

I find most of their beers reasonable, but their cherry wheat, fruit, and Lambic beers are not their best.

I used to drink a lot of SA, loved it. The last couple years, I find it mediocre, with one exception. The SA Boston Lager on tap is still a great brew.

I'm not a huge fan. I think their Boston lager is bland and boring. Griffin's Bow is not bad, and their seasonal are mediocre at best.

I don't like the beer, but I like the theory behind their beer and that they give a mass market alternative to bmc

Boston lager is pretty good to me as well as their Oktoberfest. My wife loves their summer ale, but I'm not a big fan of that one. They make so many different varieties that there's bound to be some good and some not so good. But of course at the end of the day, all that matters is what tastes good to you.

BrewKnurd said:
I had no objections to their alpine spring. Didn't think it was great, but really curious as to how you found it so objectionable. Almost makes me wonder if that bottle was seriously mishandled. Oh well.

I'm a fan of their noble pils, cream stout, latitude. And boston lager is a godsend when you're in a bar that has nothing but that and BMC.

It was pretty musty bitter if that makes sense. Honestly it reminded me of the time I ate a grasshopper on a bet. Might have been mishandled but I still won't try it again. I was really impressed by the Belgian session. Easily the smoothest offering in the summer sampler. I have yet to try any spring seasonal I like from any brewery though.

Back