If you could redo your HERMS...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j_jones84

Reaction score
What would you change? Stand dimensions? Pumps? Fittings? HEX? Element? Controls? Control Box?

What would you do different the next time around?

i would not buy rectangular switches.

either that, or not buy a 12 gauge steel enclosure.

Cutting tiny rectangles in 12 gauge steel sucked ass.

I think that I'd put the temp probe on the return to the MLT, as opposed to the output of the HEX.

??

Isn't that effectively the same spot?

The difference between HEX output and MLT return (on my system at least) is just 3 foot of hi-temp hose.

I would do a SS coil permanently fixed in the HLT and hard pipe the return to the MLT. Currently I use a copper coil that is removable from the HLT with a moveable return manifold.

??

Isn't that effectively the same spot?

The difference between HEX output and MLT return (on my system at least) is just 3 foot of hi-temp hose.

Essentially, yes, but it would cut out the hose and two brass disconnects.

I'm not saying that I'll do it just to do it, but if I were to re-do the whole thing, that's a change I'd make.

Currently using quick disconnects in my system, I would actually hard plum it in the next go around. That way I can actually use my brewtroller software to its full capabilities.

I will also use kegs instead of 10 gal coolers metal is so much more forgiving than plastic. (When I built my first HLT, I cracked the liner trying to install the Element.)

I would've paid a bit more attention to the drainage ability of my herms coil. I always seem to leave a bit of liquid in the coil even after sucking it with a shopvac. Total gravity drainage ability would be nice, with a slightly-angled bottom connection (if you're hard-mounted).

Looks like most people did it right the first time :p

How about what you think you did great that you have seen done poorly in other builds?

I have never seen an angled HERMS coil. Does the PBW, and then water rinse at the end hurt the herms coil if left in the coild for say a month or two.

I have never seen an angled HERMS coil. Does the PBW, and then water rinse at the end hurt the herms coil if left in the coild for say a month or two.

i hope not. at the end of my session, i am running oxyclean through the coil, then water, and then star san.

liquid stays trapped in mine, too, but I run water through it at the start to flush old crap out and then start the brew-day.

I've only used mine a handful of times, and I haven't used any cleaner after use. I just pump my sparge water through it and call it quits. Should I be doing more than just a rinse?

I would've paid a bit more attention to the drainage ability of my herms coil. I always seem to leave a bit of liquid in the coil even after sucking it with a shopvac. Total gravity drainage ability would be nice, with a slightly-angled bottom connection (if you're hard-mounted).

I put a shutoff valve, and blow compressed air through system, very little left after that.

You can and I do shopvac it out, I even shopvac out my mash. I don't move anything. I also do have a ball-valve shutoff on my coils. There's just a bit left in the coil that I probably shouldn't worry about, but usually the last thing I run through is Starsan. I wonder how long that stuff can sit on the copper before it starts eating copper.

I would have built a better panel with more wiring on a swinging door instead of a removable door... its a PIA to stuff it all back in there.

Back