Quick yeast washing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troubadour.Drew

Reaction score
So I washed some yeast a little while back and feel the need to fire it up! I'd really like to brew a small 2.5 gallon test batch for a recipe I've been working on. The question is: Do you think I could decant and pitch it without using a starter since it's a half batch of a small beer? Any ponderings would be great!

-Drew

I think that depends on what you mean by "a little while back" and how much yeast you washed. I wash yeast from 5g batches, and end up with 4 jars, none of which contains enough yeast IMHO to brew a new batch. If the little while was more than a couple of weeks, I'd definitely make a starter, but if it was less than 2 weeks, and you collected enough, you may be able to get away without one.

-a.

Sounds like it's probably best to make a starter. I washed it about a month ago from a 5 gallon batch into one mason jar so I could save some room in the fridge. Good to know!

Thanks everybody

-Drew

Latest posts

Back