Dumpster diving treasures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reinstone

Reaction score
I needed 8 more kegs to maximize my garage brewery space. After noticing that ball locks are now $50 plus before shipping I headed to the stainless pile to find one keg. Good but as I was walking back to have it weighed as scrap a man I asked before about saving me some came through. He saved me six beautiful ball locks. These are barely scratched. I'm gonna have him over for beers. Cheers to him. I now have 18 kegs.....not a bad way to spend a lunch break.

image.jpg

Just go to where the stainless is piled up and look. I also usually ask the guys working. If you tell them how it's a huge favor most of the time they will save them for you when they come in. Get a receipt too so Pepsi can't bother you for stealing their garbage.

Ive gotten a keg for keggle before and u dont need a receipt cause its no longer their property they scrapped it.. Its the property of the scrap yard.. But yes keep ur receipt from the yard lol

Besides if they scrapped it i dont see why they would come back at you for it lol

One of them has a real threatening sticker on it. About receiving stolen property. I took it off. I'm not sure why they don't sell these in lots to brew shops. Just throw them away. I'm glad they do. Two of the seven had dents. But I'm gonna take the lids and tubes connectors etc and convert some pin locks I got there before.

Also saw several kegs and pony kegs there, I had no use for them. I once found a cask.

I'm not sure why they don't sell these in lots to brew shops. Just throw them away. I'm glad they do.

Because the reality is that they usually end up at the scrap yard because a demolition/liquidation company is more concerned about recouping cost than legality. Fact is, most times, it's not Pepsi or Coke that sent those kegs to scrap.

Which makes it even more important to have a reciept of purchase to prove that you aquired those kegs by legal means.

Because the reality is that they usually end up at the scrap yard because a demolition/liquidation company is more concerned about recouping cost than legality. Fact is, most times, it's not Pepsi or Coke that sent those kegs to scrap.

Which makes it even more important to have a reciept of purchase to prove that you aquired those kegs by legal means.

Thanks, I will save it.

I think those (all kegs like that) were replaced by the boxes of coke/pepsi mix. For being 20-30years old they look great!!! Hot PBW 150*-160*, the super nasty keg got a thick mix and it cleaned that sucker up like new.

I think those (all kegs like that) were replaced by the boxes of coke/pepsi mix. For being 20-30years old they look great!!! Hot PBW 150*-160*, the super nasty keg got a thick mix and it cleaned that sucker up like new.

Thanks man!!!!!! From downstate.

I did as recommended. Hot soak In pbw and they look near new. The insides of this things shine!

Back