Brewing first stout!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul23

Reaction score
Im mashing now but wanted to get some opinions on how you think my first recipe for a stout will come out.

My Imperial Oatmeal Stout.
5.25 gal post boil

Mash
-----
10 lbs american 2 row
2 lbs quaker oats
1 lb crystal 40
.5 lbs carafa III
.5 lbs black patent malt

Boil
----
1.5 oz northern brewer hops 10.6AA 60 min
Last 10 min-1lb dark brown sugar and 1oz cinnamon

White labs wlp004 irish ale yeast with a 2 lt starter.

Bottling
--------
1oz vanilla extract plus priming sugar
Bottle for min 3 weeks.

Im guessing around a 1.070 or about 7.2%

Just off-hand, I don't know black parent malt.

The rest of it sounds great.

You've managed to match almost identically five other threads at the bottom of the page.

Did you have a particular manufactured beer that inspired this/what is your favorite?

Ive looked at dozens of recipes and just kind of pieced it together..... but thanks. Hoping its gooood

I got a 1.086 out of this recipe. Havent done tne math yet but im guessing about 75-80%. Efficiency out of thid grain. And my tab is really pissin m3 off with the typing..... Errrrrr

And im sorry, I wouldnt have posted this if I knew there were a bunch more. I thought i had something original but I guess not....

I was complimenting you on a good thread title. Some of mine are atrocious.

Duplicates are fine. Come back and give us a critique though. A lot of guys say what they are doing, but don't come back with results.

Back