advice on hop additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pigsaarz

Reaction score
Going to brew an American IPA for the first time, I like a good citrus finsh and aroma, this is my recipe I would like advice if I will achieve what I am after:
5 GALLON BATCH
7lbs American 2 row
4lbs Maris Otter pale
.5lbs Caramel/Crystal 60 L
.5lbsCaramel/Crystal 80 L
.5lbs Cara Pils/ Dextrine malt

1oz Chinook 60mins
.25ozCascade 30mins
1oz Cascade 0mins
.75oz Chinook hopped in secondary
.75oz Cascade hopped in secondary
All the above are pellets
Safale US-05 yeast
Mash 155 60 mins ( is this a bit high?
Boil 60 mins
Much appreciated if you could help

More hops less boil time. The hop oils evaporate quick so keep them in the boil for 20 minutes or less and keep them in while cooling. A hop spider works great for this. (15 bucks to make one at Lowes) adjust the hop volume to achieve desired ibu and I guarantee ull love the results

Forget the 60 and 30 additions, your doing an american IPA, you want an aggressive hop aroma and flavor, only add hops from the 20 minute point on. Its called late hopping or hop bursting. I can't even remember the last time I did a 60 or 30

And 155 is a bit high considering your using almost 10% crystal. Unless you like it sweet. Maybe 150?

Thanks a lot guys, usually only make English IPA, Bitter and Stout but have been buying a lot of that Sierra Nevada Torpedo

Pretty much every major brewer of american IPA does a bittering hop addition, so obviously there is nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I think 3-4 oz in the 15-0 minute range +2-3oz dry hop gets you in the ballpark of what most people expect from an american IPA. If you really like Torpedo, you should pick up some Citra as some of that to fill out your hop bill.

5 GALLON BATCH
7lbs American 2 row
4lbs Maris Otter pale
.5lbs Caramel/Crystal 60 L
.5lbsCaramel/Crystal 80 L
.5lbs Cara Pils/ Dextrine malt

1oz Chinook 60mins
.25ozCascade 30mins
1oz Cascade 0mins
.75oz Chinook hopped in secondary
.75oz Cascade hopped in secondary
All the above are pellets
Safale US-05 yeast
Mash 155 60 mins ( is this a bit high?
Boil 60 mins
Much appreciated if you could help

I'd cut the crystal a bit, leaving out the 80L completely.

You don't have enough hops for an IPA! I'd definitely add more hops, and increase the late additions, leaving out the 30 minute hops. I'd mash at 152, especially if you're still keeping a pound of crystal malts.

I like to make sure the bittering hops and the OG are in balance. So, if your OG is projected to be 1.065-1.070, shoot for 55-60 IBUs or so.

For hops:
1oz Chinook 60mins (or to 40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz chinook 10 minutes
1oz Cascade 5 mins
1oz Chinook hopped in secondary
1 oz Cascade hopped in secondary

I'd cut the crystal a bit, leaving out the 80L completely.

You don't have enough hops for an IPA! I'd definitely add more hops, and increase the late additions, leaving out the 30 minute hops. I'd mash at 152, especially if you're still keeping a pound of crystal malts.

I like to make sure the bittering hops and the OG are in balance. So, if your OG is projected to be 1.065-1.070, shoot for 55-60 IBUs or so.

For hops:
1oz Chinook 60mins (or to 40 IBUs with this addition)
1 oz Cascade 15 mins
1 oz chinook 10 minutes
1oz Cascade 5 mins
1oz Chinook hopped in secondary
1 oz Cascade hopped in secondary

I got the recipe off another American web site I found it by quoting the hop make up because my local brew store always has them in stock (the Chinook & the Cascade) the Citrus he has but I can't rely on it. Unfortunately when he gave me the crystals etc he put them in the same bag so I can't eliminate one of them, I guess I will have to go ahead with what I have got and make another one during the week, I think I will have a crack at the Bells that seems popular in the States. Guess you can say Pigsaarz has made a pigs ear of this one, though I will go ahead with you hopping ratio Yooper.Many thanks for everyones input

Back