Prosecco bottles are tough

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animalmutha

Reaction score
Around New Years I always buy full and collect empty champagne and sparkling wine bottles to re-bottle. This year I bought some Cupcake Prosecco. It gets cold up here in NH, and tonight is is in the low single digits or below zero Fahrenheit. I didn't get to drink this bottle. There were so many other fine beverages available and I had already had cupcake prosecco before so I left it. It has been outside since New Years Eve. Tonight it froze. The cork pushed about an eighth of an inch and pushed the wire cage tighter than a piano string. There was prosecco-smelling ice all the way around the cork. I shined a light through it, and it had ice from top to bottom; to the cork and to the base. There may have been liquid in the very center of the bottle but I could not see it.
There was no crack in the bottle. The cork probably relieved some pressure, but ice crystallization can crack rocks.

So if you are going to use champagne-like bottles for re-bottling and you are afraid of bottle bombing, I highly recommend cupcake prosecco bottles. I remember some of the other prosecco bottles in the store looking almost identical, so maybe they are cool too.

Happy bottling

Back