Anyone else using Hopville?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprchunk

It is though
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just happened upon Hopville from Malticulous's signature - thanks for having that in there by the way. I had seen it before about a year ago or so. It usually pops up on Google searches for some clones. Well I never gave it a second thought until clicking on the link in Malticulous's signature, and looking around. I immediately signed up and threw up some recipes. As soon as they implement the import feature I might throw away my notebooks (well, not really - I use them to jot down stuff while actually brewing which is not practical for me to have a computer near my kettle).

Is anyone else utilizing this site? I like the layout and the ease of inputting recipes. I would like it better if I could import, but that might be included in the future. It also has a fairly robust database of user recipes. Call me smitten. It's the basic stuff that seems to impress me.

I use it for the exact same reason. I like to have multiple copies of my recipes and having one in the ether never hurts. I also like to use it to come up with recipes. I haven't brewed any one else's recipes, but it's great for the free ideas!

I use it all the time as well and store some of my recipes there. I also use tastybrew.com for recipe ideas and formulation.
Share your user names there folks. I'd like to see and share recipes with other HBT users.
My user name there is FireBrew63 as well.

i love that site too. i have some of my recipes up there and mainly use it to formulate stuff, toss around ideas, and look for other ideas. if you use it much, send that dude 10 bucks or something because it's only getting better. (now he's got donate buttons everywhere)

Count me in as another Hopville fan. Even though I just picked up Beersmith 2, it's been hard to wean myself off of Hopville - primarily because of 1) its ease-of-use, and 2) the web-based nature of it allows access from any computer (between my work laptop, home laptop/desktop, and tablet.. that's very convenient!)

Beersmith provides a ton more control and has a great collection of tools/calculators, but for 90% of the time, hopville fits the bill.

i use both, hopville for a rough sketch and BS2 for cleaning up the recipe and dialing down my numbers. I like the wide selection of grains, hops, and other things HV has tho.

I used it happily until I bought Beer Tools Pro. It's a fine site but $20 for a quality software is ultimately a better choice as you can do a lot more with it. Try a demo of one of them.

I'm on there twice a week tweaking my recipes and looking at others. I think it's pretty exceptional for the price! Wide variety of grains, adjuncts, etc but does seem to lack boil times; I can't seem to figure out how to input a 90 minute boil.

I like Hopville as well but I wish there was a way to scale down the recipe as I like to do small batches.

I like Hopville as well but I wish there was a way to scale down the recipe as I like to do small batches.

you can change your batch and boil size. It took me a long time to find that too.

I love Hopville, i've been using it for at least a year or so. It's a great way for me to store recipe ideas because I tend to lose pieces of paper and the recipe is gone forever. It's also super easy to use and made my transition from extract to AG easy with their "process" tab showing strike water amount and temp as well as mashout amount.

I've been using it a little bit lately, but I do have one little issue - I would love to put in my cider recipes and build a few mead recipes, but their Beercalculus doesn't support it.

I use Hopville routinely; I love the fact that I can work on a recipe when on travel just about anywhere in the world, and I share my recipes with my brewbuddy as well. I would love an import/export feature; I would probably pick up beersmith at that point. Given that I use an iPad and Hopville during brewing, I think it might be necessary before going with BS.

Just FYI, you can change the extension of your recipe to .xml and it will display as a beer.xml compliant file which you could hopefully import elsewhere.

My username on hopville is sweatje

Regards,
Jason

Hopville when on the go for "rough sketch" and BrewTarget or BeerSmith2 (trialing it) to refine.

Thx to all about the scaling tip, I too did not see that initially.

yup, i heart me some hopville. beer smith is probably better, but hopville suits my needs so i don't see the need to spend more money.

my recipes: http://hopville.com/brewer/recipes/sweetcell

I would love an import/export feature.
you can't import, as far as i know, but you can export as beerXML: on every recipe page there is an orange "XML" link on the bottom right corner, just above the "comments" section. right-click and save as...

on your recipes listing page (like the one i linked above) there is an XML link that allows you to DL all your recipes in one file. i prefer to have mine split but, but for the chronically lazy this will save you a few clicks.

incidentally, y'all should download your recipes as XML. hopville will be doing some maintenance over the week of july 4 and you might not have access to them. also, you never know when the site is going to crash, if the database gets wiped during the maintenance, etc. best to have a local copy!

Back