Too much ground cinnamon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russellqwerty

Reaction score
Last night I racked 5 gallons of cider onto 4 tsp of ground cinnamon. I was tired and didnt read that ground cinnamon is the devil, and 4 tsp is suicide....

What to do?

The cinnamon is still floating on top, should I rack into another carboy excluding the top-most layer?

that sounds like the only thing you could do, but you will still have the cinnamon flavor

Next time: much better to dangle a cinnamon stick into your carboy with scent free dental floss. One stick in a 5-6 gal. carboy for a few days to a week should be plenty.

For now: rack to get that cinnamon that's stuck on top out of the picture. There's really no way to get the cinnamon flavor out and you're not going to be able to hide it. Best to blend it out. If you have another batch, mix it in until the cinnamon calms down enough. If you don't, make one, and just hold on to the cinnamon batch until you have something to cut it with. It will be just fine if you can reduce the spiciness, you just may have to be patient.

This is a pic from the day before this thread was started. Presently, the cider is clearing up nicely. The goal was to make a high alcohol cider that is drinkable within < 2 months for less than 20 bucks. So far it seems easier than I imagined

CiderBlowoff.jpg

Nothing masks cinnamon sadly, I've made one too many chillis with too much in. Get what you can out, run it through a muslin bag and I'd suggest trying some bottle conditioning on some of the batch to age it and round the flavour off. Good luck!

Back