Rye IPA (Edwort's) modified

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donjr721

Reaction score
i dedided to brew Edwort's Rye IPA, but i wanted to use noble hops.
Here is the grain bill and hop schedule:
8 lbs German Pilsener
2 lbs Malted Rye
2 lbs Vienna
1 lb Crystal 60
1/2 lb Flaked Barley

1 oz Spalt at first wort
1/2 oz each Tettnanger, Mt. Hood (hallertau substitute), and Saaz 45 min.
1/2 oz each Tettnanger, Mt. Hood, Saaz 35 min
1/2 oz each Tettnanger, Mt. Hood, Saaz 15 min
1/2 oz each Tettnanger, Mt. Hood, Saaz 5 min

Yeast: US-05

ABV 6.9% IBU 56 OG 1.070 FG 1.018(it may finish lower, as most of mine have when i use the US-05)
Efficiency 82%

Edwort's recipe called for 10 lbs of pilsener, that's at 75% efficiency, and the use of chinook and Tettnanger. (tettnanger at first wort).

i am hoping to get a spicier ipa with this recipe. i think it will turn out pretty good, if anything it will be interesting. i assume a big hoppy aroma, and smooth bitterness.
I am going to brew this tomorrow.

I brew a hoppy pale ale using nothing, but Weyermann Malt (Munich II, Vienna, and CaraRed) and Noble hops (Saaz and Hallertau), flavor was awesome, not as much hop flavor as I would've thought, but still awesome flavor, but I was disappointed in the aroma even after dry hopping. I used a 60, 30, 15, 5 minute hop schedule, with a 1/2oz of each hop per addition. I did use Northern Brewer for the Bittering addition though

Yeah, the last i did with saaz, i didn't get the aroma i was hoping for, but this time around i am using a total of 1 1/2 ounces of each hop per addition, not counting the spalt at first wort, hoping it will achieve what i want it to. regardless, it should be another awesome brew. i have not been disappointed with any my brews yet. the guys at work who are on my brew list, think i should be doing this for a living. easier said than done though. i love putting together recipes and brewing, just need more time and money (money mainly). i am hoping this beer has the awesome aroma of Pilsener Urquell. This is my first attempt at an IPA, everything is within the style guidelines. i will update as i go along.

i brewed this recipe sunday, everything went as planned. another awesome day of brewing. i hit the numbers on the mark, mash temp, og, and boil volume. my mash was 82% efficient for the fourth consecutive time. i think this brew is gonna be really good, definately gonna be a unique ipa with those particular hops

Latest posts

Back