Wyeast Kolsch 2565 questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman768

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, using some 2565 off the krausen, I made a 1-cup starter a few days ago for the beer I brewed yesterday. I decanted, poured a little of the slurry into a new starter to keep, and the rest into the fermenter...this was about 13 hours ago. Since the temperature range is 56-70F for this yeast, I've been keeping it at 60F since pitching. While I don't have any krausen or airlock bubbles yet, I am noticing something going on at the bottom of the carboy (first time I've used a glass carboy to ferment): little pieces of trub will suddenly shoot upwards through the beer. First, am I ok with keeping this particular yeast at 60F? Will the activity kick up soon? And second, what is going on at the bottom of the carboy? Is that little CO2 bubbles or what? Thanks!

very well could be CO2...when I racked my stout once, after finished, the yeast at the bottom still had a little amount of beer on top and I could see it bubbling...kind of how you would see lave make a bubble burst slow cause of how thick it is...and it's only been 13 hours...relax.

oh yeah, I never used that yeast so I don't know how fast it will get to work plus cooler temps will make it start off a bit slower too.

Obviously a bad trub worm infection. You had better send the carboy to me for extermination.

+1 on the CO2, also known as yeast farts. Wait til you taste that yeast urine.

Obviously a bad trub worm infection. You had better send the carboy to me for extermination.

+1 on the CO2, also known as yeast farts. Wait til you taste that yeast urine.

ROFL. I've seen a few bubbles in the airlock at this point (T+20hrs). However, my other starter is being weird. There are plenty of little bubbles coming up through the liquid, but no krausen. It also smells like A1 steak sauce instead of the normal fruit smell: a very sharp smell.

By the way, a one cup starter? Is this a five gallon batch? If so, expect a slow start. Most people use a much larger starter, 1000-1500 ml.

Expect odd smells from yeast on the grow. Our more experienced bretheren and sisteren(sp?) might be able to identify specific yeasts by their smell but I can't.

This is the yeast that I have used the most in the time that I have been brewing. It's not a very active yeast(Visually) in my opinion and always seems to take it's time finishing up. Compared to say WL Irish which goes bonkers everytime I use it and is pretty much finished after 4-5 days. Kolsch likes temps on the cooler side, so 60* should be just fine. That's been my experience with it, I always like the results.

Back