Ed Worts Haus Ale + Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hey all,

Its been a long time! Anyways, I am very interested in adding rye to a recipe, and I was thinking why not Ed Worts Haus Ale? I was thinking keeping the recipe exactly the same but just adding 1 lb of either malted rye or flaked rye? What are others thoughts? Thanks!

Jason

I need to add this to the database along with a picture.

Here's my BCB Rye IPA. It turned out very tasty.

10# 2 Row Pils
2# Rye
2# Vienna
12 oz. Crystal 60L
8 oz. Flaked Barley

1 oz. Tettnanger FWH 4.4%
1 oz. Chinook 60 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 30 min 12%
0.5 oz. Chinook 5 min 12%

Ferment with Safale-05

Dryhop with 1 oz. of Chinook

Ed whats FWH on the first set of hops and how do you do that?

I was supposed to try making the HPA recipe with Rye and I never got around to it. Thanks for the reminder...

Ed whats FWH on the first set of hops and how do you do that?

FWH = First Wort Hopping. Add the FWH addition to the brew kettle (pre-boil) where you are collecting your wort from the MLT.

I brewed EdWorts Haus Pale ale with 15% rye and 20L crystal instead of 10L, turned out great, the rye gave it a great taste

I brewed EdWorts Haus Pale ale with 15% rye and 20L crystal instead of 10L, turned out great, the rye gave it a great taste

And did you use the same hops schedule? I really like the looks of that recipe by Ed, but I haven't brewed in awhile and am unsure on hop availability. I will definitely look into it, thanks!

Jason

Ed, what's with the Chinook? Doesn't it overpower the beer a little? Looks like you've used 3oz of it in here?

Or does the tangy pine-y Chinook note go well with the spice from the rye malt?

I've got 2oz Chinook in the freezer but I'm terrified to use it after some of the horror stories I've heard.

Back