Quick disconnects for Brutus type system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepystevenson

Reaction score
Hello guys...

I am working on our 1 barrel system and am ready to order in the last of the required parts. (Thread to follow on the build.)

I am planning on getting the quick connects through McMaster-Carr, along w/ some other stuff.

I plan on putting the female ends on each end of the hoses and the males on the HLT MT and BK vessels themselves (as there are more of them required and they are cheaper).

My question is, for any of you guys who have made a single tier system....is it worth it for me to pony up the extra money for the connects that have a built in shut-off valve so they won't leak the contents of the hoses when they are disconnected?

McMaster part number for the ones with shut offs: 6534K23
McMaster part number for the ones w/ NO shut off: 6537K75

www.mcmaster.com

You may notice that the two sockets above have different coupling shapes...don't worry, I will get the approprate males to match!

Thanks so much for your input!
:mug:

I've got the open sleeves, and I get a few drips when I switch them. I brew outside, so I don't really care if I dribble a little. I make a much bigger mess with other things on brew day than that. ;) They wouldn't be worth it for me.

Also, I don't know about the ones that McMaster sells, but some have a cross pattern in the middle. This can cause the QD to clog up with grain if you recirculate your mash. Just something to think about.

The shutoff ones will no doubt restrict flow on you. The way I deal with this is that I always have my hoses connected to a vessel. It's an easy way to keep them from dripping.

OK, thanks for the input. There is a shutoff valve on each of the vessels, anyway, so the only thing that "should" run out would be the contents of the hose if I use a straight through quick disconnect. Good point about restriction of the flow and susceptibility to clogs w/ the shut offs.

Sounds like the straight through design is the way to go. I too will be brewing out doors, so it shouldn't be a problem to lose a few drops.

I will be switching hoses around a little bit more than if I had two pumps, since I will only be running one pump for the time being. (Batch sparging) Gotta get this d*** rig producing before I shell out for a second pump!

Thanks Bobby and Sparky!

If you try to keep one end connected to something with a shutoff at all times you shouldn't have much leaking. It's like holding you finger over the end of a straw or hose

Back