Kolsch 7 Day ferm - 1.006? What do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acheron800

Reaction score
First time Kolsch brewer here.

Used White Labs 029 I believe, no starter, 5 gallon wort brewed 5/15/11

OG was 1.044

Just 7 days later blowoff has slowed to once a minute or so, Ive tried to keep the wort around 62-64* but once or twice during the day it may have risen up to 66-67*.

Now I am already at 1.006?

Im thinking that was quick, so what do I do now?

Move it to secondary to keep it from fermenting more?

Cold crash the primary then move to secondary?

Let it do its thing?

Last but not least.

WHEN I do move it to secondary, I have the option of putting it in a fridge at around 40*. Should I do this and let it sit for 3 or so weeks on the fridge?

OR keep it where it has been at around 64* then cold crash for a few days before kegging?

I have heard it go both ways, but for me, it would be easier to stabilize the temps in a fridge because im playing the swamp cooler dance in my garage.

Thanks for any input!

I have always been told to let it go a minimum of 2 weeks in the primary to give the yeast time to "clean up after themselves". I would think your SG would be about as low as its gonna go, it will probably just maintain the 006 for now.

Whatever you do, attempting to stop fermentation before it's done is almost certainly going to make things worse. So far, though, you've only given us numbers. How does it taste? That's the real metric.

Whatever you do, attempting to stop fermentation before it's done is almost certainly going to make things worse. So far, though, you've only given us numbers. How does it taste? That's the real metric.

Tastes good, aroma is still sulfur-y, has a bunch of yeast in it. No off flavors, but kind of bland I guess. I must be too used to brewing big ales.

unlikely it will go lower, I would leave in primary for 2 more weeks, than bottle/keg. It will be dry, but not much you can do about it at this point.

Tastes good, aroma is still sulfur-y, has a bunch of yeast in it.

All pretty much normal for the style at this point.

No off flavors, but kind of bland I guess. I must be too used to brewing big ales.

Well, it's certainly not going to be an RIS. Give it a bit of time to condition. When the yeast fall out a bit more, you'll taste more of the malt, hops, and esters. Kölsch is a fairly subtle beer, and won't overpower you. They're nice to sip (or chug;)) on hot summer days.

Latest posts

Back