Increased Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherpa FE

The < 1% Club
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished brewing a Blue Moon Clone, and even with using 4.5 lbs of flaked wheat I got 77% efficiency. :ban:
I know its not great, but it's a far cry better than the 65-69% I was getting.

Thanks to everyone that helped, I think it was a combination of a longer mash (90 min)
and a hotter sparge temp (180 degrees)

Anyways just wanted to brag a lil, and to thank ya'll.

Josh

:mug:

Sherpa FE wrote:
Just finished brewing a Blue Moon Clone, and even with using 4.5 lbs of flaked wheat I got 77% efficiency . . . .
Thanks to everyone that helped . . . .

Congratulations! I also had a big improvement in last weekend&#8217;s efficiency thanks to HBT members. A special thanks to Bobby M. Taking advice from his videos and posts made a huge difference in efficiency and made for a much smoother brew day.

I went from percentage in the low 50s to a 75% from my first to second brew. My thermometer was broken on the first one, so while I was mashing in the low 140s I thought I was at 156. I know I can do better with a hotter sparge water. What temp do you guys heat say 5 gallons to before adding it to the HLT?

Back