Beer and guns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweed

Reaction score
They don't mix, but I'm sure a lot of us drink beer and shoot guns. Hopefully we do it in the reverse order. But I'm a newer gun owner. I love beer, and I love guns. Lets share our stories. My first is a Ruger sr9c, love it. I moved to NH because of the better gun laws than mass, lol.

ForumRunner_20121104_000029.png

ForumRunner_20121104_000114.png

If this violates rules of this forum, please delete.

Beer and guns. Always a good combination. And you have to drink first. How else ya gonna make targets?

Now, I suppose one could wait a period of time between beer and guns. Say like an hour. Don't wanna get the cramps.

:tank:

I've owned guns for years. Grew up around them (father was a collector, NRA certified instructor and we shot competitions together) too. The pistol I have here at home is a Para Ordnance P14-45. With the mag pads I can easily fit 15 in each, plus one in the tube. I used to shoot competition with it, when living in Florida. I also recently moved to NH from MA. One of the reasons I moved up into NH was the gun (and knife) laws. MA is so damned restrictive on both of those. I'll see about taking a decent picture of the P14 later. :D

Not a great picture, but it does the job in a pinch.

This one has been modified, mostly inside, for accuracy, reliability and competition. With the extended safeties and releases, recoil suppression guide rod, variable recoil spring, and more, it's one sweet shooter. In competitions, I would get <2" muzzle rise between shots. Needed for IPSC competitions where you, very often, needed to 'double tap' targets. You also needed to be accurate since there were often 'no shoot' targets mixed in each stage.

P14-45_pic.jpg

Eventually I'd love to get into competition, since that's my nature, but I need to go to a class first. I love the Sr9c because its got the 2 mags for 17+1, and 10+1 for concealment, as pictured. But I carry both.
Please get pics up asap. I was just at sig sauer today because friends were buying guns. I was jealous, and I think I found my next AR.

The SR9c is a great choice. It's been my everyday concealed carry gun for a couple years now. Very accurate, reliable, and the two mag sizes make it very versatile.

Had a XD stolen after a weekend trip with my kids. Back story: bear sighted at Chena Lakes Recreation Area, 300 yards from our camp site: 3 year old child stung by a bee; carried him in and rocked him to sleep (to ease his fear of outdoors); morning comes and my XD, K-bar, and Burbot bag are gone out of my Wrangler....I replaced it with a Sig 239. I have nothing bad to say about the P239 or the XD40.

Updated my first post with a picture... I have several high capacity magazines for my P14, plus a pair of 10 round magazines. I would use the 10 round mags to chamber a round when getting ready to run a stage in competition (would go into the back pocket after that) and have all my high capacity mags on my rig. I ran many rounds through that while shooting competition. Enough to show wear on the original alloy frame. After that I switched it over to a steel frame.

I need to find a decent range/club to join now. Got plenty of rounds I can reload too. Used to shoot 255 grain full jacket moving at 725-750 fps. They used to call them artillery rounds due to the weight. Still, I would knock down the heavy steel plates real easy. Plus I wasn't as beat-up as the guys using the super 38's. :D

Golddiggie said:
Not a great picture, but it does the job in a pinch.

This one has been modified, mostly inside, for accuracy, reliability and competition. With the extended safeties and releases, recoil suppression guide rod, variable recoil spring, and more, it's one sweet shooter. In competitions, I would get <2" muzzle rise between shots. Needed for IPSC competitions where you, very often, needed to 'double tap' targets. You also needed to be accurate since there were often 'no shoot' targets mixed in each stage.

Looks like a great gun. Love the 1911 style, and you must carry jhp's as I see from the pics.

Looks like a great gun. Love the 1911 style, and you must carry jhp's as I see from the pics.

I have those in the 'carry' mags... Gun is setup so that it fires the lighter/faster JHP's just as well as the competition rounds.

One of the reasons I went with the P14 is due to my love of the 1911 style. My father's race gun is built on a single stack 1911. I need to get the safe to my new place, along with all the guns I inherited from him. :D

BTW, the hammer safety is ambi. Got the extended beaver-tail on there too along with the competition hammer and trigger. :D Custom trigger job done on it, so basically zero slack on it, with a nice pull that's not too heavy (or too light).

My three S&W M&P's. they're the 40pro, full size 9mm, and the .22. I use the 9mm for competition, production division. The 40pro is for limited/limited10.

8154513264_d727198fe7_z.jpg

Just for the record I love my spring field xd & 1911. carry the 1911 every day. xd is nice and smooth, could shot that all day.

iagmc said:
Just for the record I love my spring field xd & 1911. carry the 1911 every day. xd is nice and smooth, could shot that all day.

I just traded in my xd for the kimber. I couldn't carry my xd very well to big for my liking. Solid gun firing just never liked the feel of it.

I love my mid-sized Ruger SP100 .357 revolver for home defense. You can use .38's for target practice.
Don't have to worry about jams that can happen with semi-autos.

I also have the Ruger SR9C. Love the gun. Need to practice more as I can't seem to hit much with it. Might need to be sighted in. I'm surgical with a rifle. Could use some practice with the hand gun.

My usual carry gun is a S&W Sigma .40sw. I also have a Ruger Star-six single action .22 mag revolver that I inherited from my dad (still living btw). I am actually thinking of trading to Sigma in on something a little smaller for a carry gun.

I enjoy refilling empty beer bottles as well as empty brass. Have been homebrewing along with reloading since the sixties.

Don't know which I enjoy best. Both give me a feeling of accomplishment as well as providing me with end products that are equal to if not better than what is commercially available.:)

bosco

To the OP bite for your better gun laws. :mug:
Hers one of my favorite shooters. Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag.

LOL... But at least you are cool enough to get your LTC to own a gun unlike a lot of those anti gun liberals :cross:

Take the move like I did to freedom! :D I left th ex, and I find out tomorrow if I get back all the money she stole from me...then I'll be able to fund my next firearm purchase.. and there is a good list going already :p

To the OP bite for your better gun laws. :mug:

Isn't it funny how one of the original states in the union (MA) is one of the most restrictive when it comes to gun laws? Plus all the other crap the current governor is doing to the residents. Don't forget about the brewery license fiasco that was [luckily] shot down (they tried to put a minimum amount needed for a farmers brewing license to increase revenue, almost make many breweries leave the state).

I had been trying to move to NH (or ME or VT) for years. Finally had the opportunity, so I grabbed it. Don't plan on EVER living in MA again.

BTW, don't you just LOVE the open carry gun law in NH?? :D The only license you need is if you want to carry concealed. :rockin: Also look at the difference in knife laws between the two states. MA is so restrictive it's sickening.

LOL... But at least you are cool enough to get your LTC to own a gun unlike a lot of those anti gun liberals :cross:

Take the move like I did to freedom! :D I left th ex, and I find out tomorrow if I get back all the money she stole from me...then I'll be able to fund my next firearm purchase.. and there is a good list going already :p

Its a disease. I had to do more brewing to stop spending money on guns lol. Get your C&R FFL, then the real fun begins when you just have to click buy and ship to your house for antique guns.

Here's what I got.... I don't like mixing my booze with my shooting, "liable to shot something or someone I didn't intend to shoot". I like the fact that I can mix in 410 shot with the 45 long colts, plus it a good accurate gun.

taurus_judge.jpg

I enjoy refilling empty beer bottles as well as empty brass. Have been homebrewing along with reloading since the sixties.

Don't know which I enjoy best. Both give me a feeling of accomplishment as well as providing me with end products that are equal to if not better than what is commercially available.:)

bosco

Not a whole lot of folks do reloading anymore. My grandfather did, I may still get my old man to teach me.

Not a whole lot of folks do reloading anymore. My grandfather did, I may still get my old man to teach me.

I did when shooting competition. I still have the tools, and supplies, to do it again. Just need to set the press up and I'm in business. :D

Depending on what you're shooting, it can be either a cost savings, or not. It also depends on if you need special rounds, or ones not commercially available, or not. I know someone in FL that (at least he used to) has a reloading business. He has automatic presses that output a lot of rounds for customers.

Not a lot of rifles in here. That's pretty much my thing, few handguns and shotguns, lot of varmint rifles.

I did when shooting competition. I still have the tools, and supplies, to do it again. Just need to set the press up and I'm in business. :D

Depending on what you're shooting, it can be either a cost savings, or not. It also depends on if you need special rounds, or ones not commercially available, or not. I know someone in FL that (at least he used to) has a reloading business. He has automatic presses that output a lot of rounds for customers.

Yeah the issue for me is some of the ones passed down you can't buy ammo for anymore so they'll either need to be rechambered or I'll need to start loading.

Well I'm on a brewing forum and my name here is a famous rifle, so what are the odds that I'm with you!

I've got guns from the 1800's to very modern.

I like the old stuff and the precise stuff.

Yeah the issue for me is some of the ones passed down you can't buy ammo for anymore so they'll either need to be rechambered or I'll need to start loading.

Well then get crackin there Bubba... :D

I was checking out some 5.56 rifles today (AR15/M4 style)... I want one, but am not ready to spend the cabbage to get it.

Updated my first post with a picture... I have several high capacity magazines for my P14, plus a pair of 10 round magazines. I would use the 10 round mags to chamber a round when getting ready to run a stage in competition (would go into the back pocket after that) and have all my high capacity mags on my rig. I ran many rounds through that while shooting competition. Enough to show wear on the original alloy frame. After that I switched it over to a steel frame.

I need to find a decent range/club to join now. Got plenty of rounds I can reload too. Used to shoot 255 grain full jacket moving at 725-750 fps. They used to call them artillery rounds due to the weight. Still, I would knock down the heavy steel plates real easy. Plus I wasn't as beat-up as the guys using the super 38's. :D
I huneted deer with a .45acp loaded to +p I had a 255gr hardcastLSWC up over 900 fps. Took 3 deer in 1 week with that puppy on a mountain bike. It was a colt that was comped and had a fastfire and magwell. Too everything of and shot idpa production class. I cried when I had to sell it to pay the bills

Well then get crackin there Bubba... :D

I was checking out some 5.56 rifles today (AR15/M4 style)... I want one, but am not ready to spend the cabbage to get it.

Yeah I'm gonna have too. The main one I'm thinking of was my grandfather's .219 Donaldson Wasp. I got all the tools to do it, it's just finding the time.

Yeah I'm gonna have too. The main one I'm thinking of was my grandfather's .219 Donaldson Wasp. I got all the tools to do it, it's just finding the time.

I used to shoot a 218 bee and always wanted to find a wasp.. neat little cratridge

golddiggie, the beauty of an ar is you can buy it one piece at a time and slowly build it to what you like. Don't waste money buying one off the shelf youll end up upgrading anyway

McBrewskie said:
Not a lot of rifles in here. That's pretty much my thing, few handguns and shotguns, lot of varmint rifles.

I got rifles just didn't want to type then all out haha.

Best ones I have are my savage .22( silenced)
And my CORE15 AR.

huntingohio said:
I used to shoot a 218 bee and always wanted to find a wasp.. neat little cratridge

golddiggie, the beauty of an ar is you can buy it one piece at a time and slowly build it to what you like. Don't waste money buying one off the shelf youll end up upgrading anyway

Agreed picking a choosing is the best part about ARs. That and shooting exploding targets prepping for the zombie apocalypse

Been hunting and shooting long guns for years, but have my eye on an XD45, XD40 or 96A1 in the near term. Used my 11-87 for competetive trap and skeet for a while (amatuer).

I have to get my hearing checked each year for work (OSHA stuff). Every year they say "you have a hearing loss in your left ear". No kidding. Shooting all those teenage years without ear plugs has torn my left ear to pieces. I'm 37 now. Wear hearing protection!

Remington 11-87 12ga
Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga (got a slug barrel for this one)
Wards Hercules .410 (single shot)
New England Firearms 20 ga (single shot)

Marlin Model 60 .22 (dollar for dollar the best .22 out there )
Remington 742 Carbine 30.06

I might sell some of the guns I inherited from my father to help fund the AR purchase. I know there are some things I'll want right off the bat. I'm not looking to have a ton of spare parts as I change things over to what I want it to be. I know I'll want a match grade barrel in it. I can get the AR with the the forestock as all rails, which will make things easier.

Need to do some more research before I make that purchase.

I am looking to get some gun parts that can be converted into tap handles now. Got some info on a couple of gunsmith's today that might be able to help me out there. I might see about getting a 22 match barrel converted into a handle. It came off the pistol my father had setup for competition shooting. He replaced the barrel with a much better one, so this one's not doing anything (besides holding a pheasant feather).

I just bought my Ruger SR40 in September and love it. Ever paycheck I take it to the range and let loose 100rds. Great pistol, couldn't be happier, and the price was worth it $450. Hoping next paycheck to upgrade the spring and rod, firing pin spring and cocked indicator with a stainless steel rod.

Currently borrowing a SigSauer Mosquito and I hate the damn thing, piece of useless junk. Going to buy a Baretta U22 Neos for plinking and maybe competition.

image-1680635433.jpg

Back