Poll: What method do you brew with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What method do you brew?

• Extract (with or without grain)

• Partial Mash

• BIAB

• Full Grain

Results are only viewable after voting.

davekippen

Reaction score
1) Extract (with or without grain)
2) Partial mash
3) BIAB
4) All grain

give me 80/20 - what do you do most of the time?

Interesting, I did not expect All Grain to be the majority. Of course, not that many votes yet.

Interesting, I did not expect All Grain to be the majority. Of course, not that many votes yet.

I think there may be more extract brewers total, but they may not be spending a lot of time on a message board that disscuses (bickers about :D ) very technical aspects of making beer.

I could have swore i polled already on a thread almost EXACTLY like this. Yeah full grain or partial mash and BIAB=same.

I'm not surprised at all. Forums for any hobby tend to attract the most hard-core and involved of their activity. Brewing is no different. Casual brewers (who are more likely to be extract brewers) are far less likely to come to a forum like this compared to the Hop-Head, Grain-Jockeys we have here.

In other words, this forum is a highly skewed and biased sample of all home brewers. Of course, this is what make it such a great resource. The depth of experience here is amazing.

I'm not surprised at all. Forums for any hobby tend to attract the most hard-core and involved of their activity. Brewing is no different. Casual brewers (who are more likely to be extract brewers) are far less likely to come to a forum like this compared to the Hop-Head, Grain-Jockeys we have here.

In other words, this forum is a highly skewed and biased sample of all home brewers. Of course, this is what make it such a great resource. The depth of experience here is amazing.

I expect this is a good explanation of the skew to all grain.

Would be interesting to compare to what homebrew shops sell -- which might snare a larger percentage of the total brewer population.

All grain.

I like coffee too, but not instant coffee. I like fresh coffee and grind my beans just before I brew a pot. I like fresh beer and grind my grains just before I brew a batch.

Yeah, I do mostly extract w/ specialty grains (for now). But it has been pretty obvious to me that the majority of people that post regularly do all-grain.

I seem to remember some statistic (maybe I heard it from BrewingTV or something) that 80% of home-brewers do extract brewing. Do you all think that is a relatively accurate number?

All grain, but that does not mean that I think any less of folks who use different methods.

mccumath said:
All grain, but that does not mean that I think any less of folks who use different methods.

I only think less of those who brew one way, then lie by saying they brew another way ;)

As I was telling a guy we met at the LHBS, boyfriend and I live in an apartment, with an electric stove, with no balcony and no storage space and closets without doors. It's probably the worst apartment for brewing ever. :p For now, we're sticking to simple extract, though we do have a cooler sitting around that we may one day convert.

KirbyTails said:
As I was telling a guy we met at the LHBS, boyfriend and I live in an apartment, with an electric stove, with no balcony and no storage space and closets without doors. It's probably the worst apartment for brewing ever. :p For now, we're sticking to simple extract, though we do have a cooler sitting around that we may one day convert.

I had an apartment like that and I did all grain just fine. You'd have to build a heat stick though.

All grain for me. But I still do partial mash for high OG beers and I still brew the occasional extract beer when I'm feeling lazy.

All grain. Havent tried another way yet. All grain was cheaper so I went for it.

I think the best way to do this would be to ask Northern , Austin and Midwest on what they sell the most of.

All grain now. Will do BIAB in the winter when it is really cold on my porch.
I would have no qualms of doing a PM or extract batch. I probably won't though because I have plenty of grain on hand and it is much cheaper.

Extract. I want to learn AG, but am very happy with my hobby and results as they stand now. Not sure I have time, and definitely not the space, for AG.

Last 3 batches were all grain. I will most likely never do another pm/extract beer. Not because of quality but because of cost and the unlimited possibilities you get with all grain.

I haven't done an extract batch since I started brewing AG, but I'm going to go ahead and say AG/extract, just in case circumstances force me to do an extract batch one day. I'd rather brew an extract batch than not brew at all.

I could have swore i polled already on a thread almost EXACTLY like this. Yeah full grain and BIAB=same.

I tried searching for a poll like this, I was shocked that I didnt find anything like it. Nothing that I could find anyway.

Its interesting to hear everyone's comments. I dont know if I necessarily agree agree that the forum attracts mostly all grainer's because they are more hard core. I would tend to think the newbees would frequent the forum for advice just as much as the experts frequent the forum for technical reasons??

I started off extract like many did and then did a few PM batches. I'm now on to AG and can only see my self going back because of time constraints.

Back